Scenario: Would you go to the worst medical school you applied to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Would you go to the worst medical school you applied to?

• yes (explain)

Votes: 94 91.3%
  • no (explain)

Votes: 9 8.7%

• Total voters
Yes, I'd even go to the worst medical school I DIDN'T apply to. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I pushed my "worst" II out really far late and will only go if I'm not accepted elsewhere by then ;)

It's always ideal to get into the best school possible, but for a lot of people, their last choice was their only option, but are thankful for at least having the chance to be an MD.
9ce12.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
If you didn't want to go there, then why did you apply in the first place?

I see this statement way too many times on here... There are many things one does not know about a school when they are submitting their primary and secondary. The problem isn't applying there in the first place. The problem is that the student doesn't withdraw their application after the interview.

So, no i wouldn't go to this school. If this happened to me, I would've withdrawn my app after the interview.

Reactions: 1 user
You will not get in anywhere the second time around once you've been accepted somewhere the first time you applied.

I didn't realize this was a rule. Never considered not going if I could -- a lot of the outrage in this thread makes sense to me, but the OP seemed to make a compelling case. Does the acceptance show on AMCAS or do med school Adcoms have a blacklist?

I don't get it. Why would you turn down an MD acceptance just to wait a year for a better school that may never come? If you were rejected the first time, why would the second time be any different?

Why indeed. Maybe you meant specifically for the student who received and declined an acceptance (and was thus blacklisted), but people do reapply (myself included) hoping for different outcomes -- and sometimes seeing them. There's a whole thread for them.

I didn't realize this was a rule. Never considered not going if I could -- a lot of the outrage in this thread makes sense to me, but the OP seemed to make a compelling case. Does the acceptance show on AMCAS or do med school Adcoms have a blacklist?

Why indeed. Maybe you meant specifically for the student who received and declined an acceptance (and was thus blacklisted), but people do reapply (myself included) hoping for different outcomes -- and sometimes seeing them. There's a whole thread for them.
There is a report that gets released around March or April that includes all acceptances. So schools can see if you have been accepted multiple places. They can also see your name if you try applying after being accepted. Not a good idea. If the interview is such a turn-off, just withdraw and save yourself the future difficulty.

Dont be stuck on prestige of school. Get in where you can get in. As long as they are nationally accredited, your degree weighs the same as anyone else. The only difference is glamour and bragging rights.

Bc the rhetoric and brochures don't always match the reality.

Sure, but I'm not sure if I'd have the heart to go through an entire cycle if I was going to get into even my 'last' choice. There are some places that I applied to that I feel 'meh' about, but being accepted there and nowhere else? I'd find a way to make it work.

Sure, but I'm not sure if I'd have the heart to go through an entire cycle if I was going to get into even my 'last' choice. There are some places that I applied to that I feel 'meh' about, but being accepted there and nowhere else? I'd find a way to make it work.
Depends. There are some ****TY med schools out there and with the new ones popping up (both MD and DO), even more than usual. Definitely worth having a critical eye.

Depends. There are some ****TY med schools out there and with the new ones popping up (both MD and DO), even more than usual. Definitely worth having a critical eye.

This is true, but I only applied to a couple of new schools (TCMC and Hofstra) and would look over match lists and hospital affiliations before going to an interview. Honestly, I'm more worried about the few rural schools I applied to in the south.

Is there a med school in Compton or Flint? I'd still go if it were the only school I was accepted to.

I study vet medicine , it seems great but in my country They are not accept me in med school so there Is I am . start vet and planing to finish it and after vet I wanna study mid outside my country .