Scenario: You're accepted and you receive a C- in a prereq before you're about to enroll. What now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IHaveSomeQuestions

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
The scenario:
Say you have 1 prerequisite left to take and are excepted to complete before you enter in the fall. You already have your deposits in, and you're all set to go otherwise. You were accepted to a few top notch schools, but most importantly, your dream school. You get along great with the admissions team and nailed your interview.
Everything is great and you're on cloud 9...until this happens.

Final grades come around and you end up with about 0.5 points away from getting a C in the prerequisite class. A dreaded C- shows up as your final grade. Hypothetically let's also say the class is not a prereq like Bio, Chem, or Physics but is instead one people tend to struggle with such as Orgo or Calculus. The rest of your prereqs were all B's and some A's.

Your dream schools website/requirement papers say nothing about a C, oddly enough. Although, you feel like it's implied since you've seen that C everywhere when applying to other schools. Plus, you've always practically known a C- as "failing" because, you know, that minus sign may as well be Satan himself.

You kick yourself in the ass and begin to lose all hope. How tf could you be stupid enough to screw up all your hard work with a C-?! Your grades are now cursed. Internally, you are screaming to yourself "MAYDAY! MAYDAY! COME UP WITH A PLAN B!!!!"

Will your acceptance will be rescinded for that C-? Would they call you out for it and ask you wtf is wrong with you?
What would you do?

Members don't see this ad.

Wow this just stressed me out because I literally just got my first C and I am currently panicking :) Lemme know when you get an answer because my questions are similar.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so nervous to call honestly. My final exam isn't posted yet, so I'm not sure where my grade stands. I'm really worried that my grade fell from a B- to a C- because the final exam which is worth almost half my grade was insanely hard. I feel like I've never done worse on an exam in my life, and it sucks because I did really well on his study guide when I was practicing. But then on the actual exam it was 10x harder than the study guide which is usually the opposite. I'm really hoping that he curves the exam for our class because I was in the exam room for, I kid you not, 2 hours. Over half my class was still in the room erasing and scrambling for answers when I turned in my exam. People were huffing and puffing the whole time lol it was nuts so I'm crossing my fingers that I didn't completely ruin my grade.

Prof said he doesn't post grades until Wednesday which is also 1 day after the refund deadline. (of course) Ahhhh

Reactions: 1 user
If it's a common class like orgo or calculus, you may be able to retake the course for a passing grade over the summer before matriculation. I'd get in touch with your program and see if that would be an acceptable solution if they won't accept the C-.

The scenario:
Say you have 1 prerequisite left to take and are excepted to complete before you enter in the fall. You already have your deposits in, and you're all set to go otherwise. You were accepted to a few top notch schools, but most importantly, your dream school. You get along great with the admissions team and nailed your interview.

Final grades come around and you end up with about 0.5 points away from getting a C in the prerequisite class. A dreaded C- shows up as your final grade. Hypothetically let's also say the class is not a prereq like Bio, Chem, or Physics but is instead one people tend to struggle with such as Orgo or Calculus. The rest of your prereqs were all B's and some A's.

Your dream schools website/requirement papers say nothing about a C, oddly enough. Although, you feel like it's implied since you've seen that C everywhere when applying to other schools. Plus, you've always practically known a C- as "failing" because, you know, that minus sign may as well be Satan himself.

You kick yourself in the ass and begin to lose all hope. How tf could you be stupid enough to screw up all your hard work with a C-?! Your grades are now cursed. Internally, you are screaming to yourself "MAYDAY! MAYDAY! COME UP WITH A PLAN B!!!!"

Will your acceptance will be rescinded for that C-? Would they call you out for it and ask you wtf is wrong with you?
What would you do?

Like the others said, contact the school, see that the advisor says.
While waiting for their reply or even prior to contacting them, look up community college schools in your area. You said its a common course like ochem or calc, the community colleges should have those courses. You still have the summer before classes start in august, so redo the course then. Thats my reccomendation, but check with advisor to see if thats okay.
Goodluck! Congrats on getting in!

The scenario:

What would you do?
honestly, you say and do nothing. play the waiting game. you were accepted already unless they said that your acceptance was contingent on this one grade I honestly would not sweat it right now. I wouldn't even call their attention to it. if the rescind their acceptance they will inform you of it. there is no need to freak out.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Grades just posted today. I ended up with a C+ for the class. My grade dropped 2.25 points from a B- to a C+ after not doing so hot on the final exam. It's one of the worst grades on my prereqs but I am sooooo relieved it's not a C- and that I don't have to retake this....thank god!! That would not have been fun scrambling around this summer to take it again.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm sure you'll be fine. If you got a D or a F then that might be an issue and have to retake the course. Since you've been accepted I wouldn't panic.