Schaum's outline or Physics Nova

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ebete

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Just wondering if anyone could give me some feedback on these two. I took Phys. about 8 years ago, and need to really study in detail. Even back then I didn't do so well (when I had other plans for the future), but I am ready now. I heard good things about both on a few threads but I guess it depends on the individual weak area. I personally learn from concepts, logic and practice ( rather not memorize). Anyone with some advice?

Thanks in advance, E

Members don't see this ad.

E, I just bought Nova Physics off Amazon and it's amazing! It concentrates on problems geared toward the MCAT, and leaves out pointless details that you don't need to worry about. At the end of every chapter are about 50 problems plus 2 MCAT style passages. I think Dr. Biehle explains things really well and recognizes that we are not all budding rocket scientist, but rather we are just doing what we need to to do well on the test. I haven't tried Schaum's but I would highly recommend NOVA. Hope this helps! :luck::luck::luck: goodluck!

Ok, so I purchased Schaum's today and did the first 2 chapters...seemed pretty nice, easy and straight forward. Althought it seems to contain some stuff we do not need. Some whole chapters and also other methods of getting to an answer that won't be on the MCAT. It does have a ton of problems with explanations, and that I need. I will be checking out Novas at B&N during the week sometime.

More feedback is greatly appreciated:)

The NOVA physics book was a mainstay for me when I was studying PS. The explanations of basic concepts are clear and understandable, the author doesn't go into unnecessary detail, and he does an amazing job of identifying common conceptual errors that beginning physics students make. All of the practice problems have pretty thorough explanations. Plus, the author has a very dry and witty sense of humor. Helped keep my attention when I was going into hour three of thinking about centripetal force...

My only complaint about the book is that the chapter on electomagnetism has practice problems that tend to be too calculation-heavy.

Physics was a huge stumbling block for me in college. I wish I'd had the NOVA book back then... it would have cleared up a lot of confusion for me. I give this book major credit for enabling me, a physics-phobe, to score beyond my wildest expectations (13) on PS.

I haven't used Schaum's, so I can't comment on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
The NOVA physics book was a mainstay for me when I was studying PS. The explanations of basic concepts are clear and understandable, the author doesn't go into unnecessary detail, and he does an amazing job of identifying common conceptual errors that beginning physics students make. All of the practice problems have pretty thorough explanations. Plus, the author has a very dry and witty sense of humor. Helped keep my attention when I was going into hour three of thinking about centripetal force...

My only complaint about the book is that the chapter on electomagnetism has practice problems that tend to be too calculation-heavy.

Physics was a huge stumbling block for me in college. I wish I'd had the NOVA book back then... it would have cleared up a lot of confusion for me. I give this book major credit for enabling me, a physics-phobe, to score beyond my wildest expectations (13) on PS.

I haven't used Schaum's, so I can't comment on it.

How long ago did you take physics? I took it about 8 years ago, and my professor was also terrible.
My first mock test I got a 6 on PS, so I really need to work on my Phys & Chem.
What did you use for Chem?

Thanks, E

How long ago did you take physics? I took it about 8 years ago, and my professor was also terrible.
My first mock test I got a 6 on PS, so I really need to work on my Phys & Chem.
What did you use for Chem?

Thanks, E

I took physics in 1996-97... so over 10 years ago. I really didn't understand it at the time. The course was calc-based, and despite hours of studying, I never really understood how to use calculus to solve physics problems. The NOVA book really helped me get over my intimidation about physics. The Kaplan and Examkrackers books were good supplemental helps for physics, too.

I used Kaplan and Examkrackers to study for chem. I retook gen chem in summer school in 2006, so I'd had a recent refresher before I started studying for the MCAT.