Schedule Dilemma...Need advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KnightDoc2015

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am making my schedule for this next fall and spring. I am a pre-med major at UCF (Biomedical Sciences) and I am a sophomore.

Background: I have a 4.0 through my first 2 semesters and took: Bio 1 + lab, Chem 1a & 1b (chem 1 is split into 2 semesters), Physics 1 + lab, Neurobiology, Psych, Statistics, and Government.
I am now taking Chem 2 + lab this summer.

For next fall, I was considering taking Organic I, Microbiology (2 labs per week), and Physics 2 (short lab right after class Tu/Th) and the required course for Pre-med majors "Overview of Medical Careers".

Question: Is that ^^ too much for 1 semester? I do love physics (Got a 3 on the AP test but still wanted to take the class to show med schools what I can do) so physics won't be as hard as it generally is for most people.

Advice is greatly appreciated :D Thank you everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I think its manageable as long as you don't have a job or any time intensive ECs.

Hi everyone,

I am making my schedule for this next fall and spring. I am a pre-med major at UCF (Biomedical Sciences) and I am a sophomore.

Background: I have a 4.0 through my first 2 semesters and took: Bio 1 + lab, Chem 1a & 1b (chem 1 is split into 2 semesters), Physics 1 + lab, Neurobiology, Psych, Statistics, and Government.
I am now taking Chem 2 + lab this summer.

For next fall, I was considering taking Organic I, Microbiology (2 labs per week), and Physics 2 (short lab right after class Tu/Th) and the required course for Pre-med majors "Overview of Medical Careers".

Question: Is that ^^ too much for 1 semester? I do love physics (Got a 3 on the AP test but still wanted to take the class to show med schools what I can do) so physics won't be as hard as it generally is for most people.

represent UCF woohooo. Also a sophmore :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think its manageable as long as you don't have a job or any time intensive ECs.

Thank you for the advice and confidence! I'm definitely leaning toward taking them. I don't have any commitments or responsibilities other than my school work so I will have all the time I need :)

and wow, how cool?! UCF pride! we should keep in touch. What are you taking for fall/spring?

Thank you for the advice and confidence! I'm definitely leaning toward taking them. I don't have any commitments or responsibilities other than my school work so I will have all the time I need :)

and wow, how cool?! UCF pride! we should keep in touch. What are you taking for fall/spring?

Well I just decided to become a doc, so in fall im taking physics 1, bio 1, gen chem 1, and probably a sociology class. How about you? I'm taking the summer off to work and shadow some docs.

Well I just decided to become a doc, so in fall im taking physics 1, bio 1, gen chem 1, and probably a sociology class. How about you? I'm taking the summer off to work and shadow some docs.

Let me know if you need help in Physics 1: I got a 97 A in the class and the test averages were between 50 and 60 (not to worry you) but I can definitely help. I'm tutoring Physics 1 students this summer for $10 an hour. But the key is understanding the concepts fully before you attack the problems :)
Your schedule sounds good though! Bio 1 and Chem 1 together won't be hard..Physics is going to be your wild card.

I'm not sure what I"m taking yet, that's the reason for this post. I know i'm taking Organic I, Physics II, and Overview of Medical Careers. I'm just deciding between genetics or Microbio with that. I'm a studying freak so I feel like I would put the same effort into Micro as genetics and Micro is a pre-req for a lot of my major classes, so we'll see!

Next spring i'm going to be taking Quantitative Biological Methods (if I take Micro in the fall, if not Micro in the spring), with Organic II, American History I, and Cinema Survey or Intro to Philosophy (some Gen ed requirement). **I'm takign an easier load for Spring because I'll be studying for my MCAT. They advise that you do your MCAT prep class in spring so you finish in time to take an extra test before next spring.

Sounds like an easy semester.

I am probably going to take the overview class too. And yea Ill shoot you a message if anything. What teacher did you get?

Sounds like an easy semester.

Really? Do you think it won't just be manageable, but easy??

& @Yonko Shanks: I had it with Dr. Ahlam Al-Rawi. She isn't teaching it next year; she's teaching calculus based physics. Dr. Colwell is VERY good. Look to see if you can get lucky and get him (he fills up fast).

Really? Do you think it won't just be manageable, but easy??

& @Yonko Shanks: I had it with Dr. Ahlam Al-Rawi. She isn't teaching it next year; she's teaching calculus based physics. Dr. Colwell is VERY good. Look to see if you can get lucky and get him (he fills up fast).

Thanks, I will definitely shoot you a message when fall semester begins. Are you in the pre med club? Where you volunteering at?

Thanks, I will definitely shoot you a message when fall semester begins. Are you in the pre med club? Where you volunteering at?

Definitely; don't hesitate whatsoever. And I am thinking about joining AMSA next semester. Are you in it? And I have made it past interview 1 of 2 for the Florida Hospital for Children. So I will be volunteering there for a day or 2 a week but I also want to shadow. I am kinda stuck on where to volunteer at the moment.

I agree. There's only 4 courses there, and the toughest one for many people sounds like it will be your easiest.

Wow, that's great. Thank you so much for the confidence. I really appreciate it! I hope that it won't be too much of a course load.

This makes me slightly concerned. It's perfectly fine to not have too many commitments when starting college so that you can adjust to the rigor of it, but you don't want to be a study robot, especially now because you:

1) Are now a sophomore. You can't use the "I'm trying to adapt to college" excuse now. You have a 4.0

2) HAVE A 4.0! Needless to say, I think you can crunch something in there along with studies.

3) Need to pursue passions outside the classroom. Show future adcoms you're not just a bookworm who stays in their room 24/7 memorizing everything.

This makes me slightly concerned. It's perfectly fine to not have too many commitments when starting college so that you can adjust to the rigor of it, but you don't want to be a study robot, especially now because you:

1) Are now a sophomore. You can't use the "I'm trying to adapt to college" excuse now. You have a 4.0

2) HAVE A 4.0! Needless to say, I think you can crunch something in there along with studies.

3) Need to pursue passions outside the classroom. Show future adcoms you're not just a bookworm who stays in their room 24/7 memorizing everything.

Thank you for your advice. I'm not sure if you mean something extra hobby wise or something related to medicine but outside of the classroom. I have been offered a tentative position in my professors neurodegenerative research lab when a space becomes available and I am volunteering with the kids of Florida Hospital for Children. Do you have any other ideas? I am stumped on what else to pursue.

Okay guys, here is my final and updated schedule...

Fall:
American History I
Immunology
Organic I
Physics I

Spring:
Overview of Medical Careers
Organic II
American History II
Anatomy + Lab
Immunology Lab
**ALSO: Doing my MCAT prep course

Summer 2013: Microbiology + Lab

Good? I am pushing Micro back a little bit because the professor that teaches it Fall/Spring is unnecessarily hard (tests avg 40's and 50's and doesnt curve till very end) and you don't learn much. So better professor in summer. I still have to take Quantitative Biological Methods, Molecular Bio I and II, and Microbial Metabolism (for my major).

Okay guys, here is my final and updated schedule...

Fall:
American History I
Immunology
Organic I
Physics I

Spring:
Overview of Medical Careers
Organic II
American History II
Anatomy + Lab
Immunology Lab
**ALSO: Doing my MCAT prep course

Summer 2013: Microbiology + Lab

Good? I am pushing Micro back a little bit because the professor that teaches it Fall/Spring is unnecessarily hard (tests avg 40's and 50's and doesnt curve till very end) and you don't learn much. So better professor in summer. I still have to take Quantitative Biological Methods, Molecular Bio I and II, and Microbial Metabolism (for my major).

If you are referring to White and Safranek (I am in Microbio this summer at UCF), It's a really good idea to put off Micro until summer!

Avoid Physics with Zhmudsky if you actually want to learn anything.