Schedule for next semester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bolnoi

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please give suggestions/commentaries:

biochemistry of macromolecules
immunology
biochemistry lab

i'm afraid of taking 5 courses because i really struggled this semester and biochem lab is 4cr. so only have room for 1 more. Phys. chem is required for my major but it is taught by a supposedly bad professor and also it is not really an upper level course... This is why for my 4th course, i am thinking of taking advanced cardiovascular physiology, where supposedly i could get a strong recommendation. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, what year are you, what have you taken, etc. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't rush taking all of my prerequists asap. Spread them out, mix them up with better classes. If the professors change for that bad class, wait for another semester. Don't be in such a rush all the time. If you want to finish prerequisites before studying for mcat, then I say still try to spread it out as much as you can. Its nice to have everything finished, but you will be reviewing it during MCAT study any ways. Good luck.

sscooterguy

Members don't see this ad :)
sscooterguy said:
First of all, what year are you, what have you taken, etc. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't rush taking all of my prerequists asap. Spread them out, mix them up with better classes. If the professors change for that bad class, wait for another semester. Don't be in such a rush all the time. If you want to finish prerequisites before studying for mcat, then I say still try to spread it out as much as you can. Its nice to have everything finished, but you will be reviewing it during MCAT study any ways. Good luck.

sscooterguy

i'm a junior. and i must apply to medschools and take the mcat next summer. also i work research full-time next summer, so in fact i should be very worried right now.

bolnoi said:
i'm a junior. and i must apply to medschools and take the mcat next summer. also i work research full-time next summer, so in fact i should be very worried right now.

No worries. Why do you have to take four bio classes though? If you are a junior you should have other classes to take besides bio... just my thoughts, but I think you should replace one of those classes with a non-bio class.

Yeah, it's important to keep the term you're taking the MCAT light. The only sci courses I took that term were physics 2+lab and nutrition. But I took 4 nonsci classes the same term that helped me raise my GPA and gave me more time to study for the MCAT. A lot of my friends didn't take any sci classes that term. I would suggest making your 4th class a nonsci class.

chaeymaey said:
Yeah, it's important to keep the term you're taking the MCAT light.

Agreed, I know I'm a little nervous about the MCAT coming up in April so I'm only taking 2 classes this fall-- (Orgo II and genetics). I would rather have extra time to study for the MCAT and take a light course load than to spread myself too thin.

3 of those courses i listed above are absolutely required for juniors in my major. Phys chem is also required and most take it in sophomore year but i'm thinking of putting it off till senior year and taking some upper level(grad cardio) course instead this semester, in order to earn a recommendation,etc. they're actually biochem, not bio.
I do need to take an english course eventually, but i doubt that english courses are easy. They do require term papers...

I only plan to take MCAT in August. I havent really started studying for it yet.

I dunno....At my school p-chem is an advanced course and it is hideous. I would recomend getting it out of the way so you don't have to suffer through it senior year like I am right now. Then you can take classes you enjoy during your last year.

take a science elective. midterm and final. no papers