Schedule: UIC, CCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DRMCB

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a topic that has been discussed generally, but I wonder if any current med students would care to share their "typical" schedule. I'm particularly interested in Chicago area schools and the ones above.

I'm planning on starting med school in 2004. I am married with one son who is 1 and another on the way. My wife and I hope to keep our kids out of daycare, so she will probably just be working part-time while I'm in school. I also hope to earn a little money in the summers and as time allows. As you can see, I have good reason to be concerned about the schedule in medical school. I would like to find a "family friendly" school with most of the class work completed by noon.

Thanks for the feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

I have visited both schools and from my perspective the class schedules are very similar and traditional. Class seems to run from 8am - 4pm. The major difference is that UIC students attend class much less, so if you are an efficient self-learner UIC may give you more time with your family. I believe labs run 2-3 afternoons/week at UIC along with another afternoon designated for an introduction to clinical medicine course, all of which I imagine you should attend. If you have very competitive stats/recs/experiences etc... you should consider looking into Northwestern University Medical School. They are in class very little compared with other Chicago schools (~2 hours/day), making it more "family friendly". Good luck and know that you can make it happen!! :)