Scheduling dilema

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dec0y

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, havent been here for a while, probably because I sacked the idea of becoming an M.D. However I have recently started to re-explore the idea of applying to med school, and as such I would need to reowrk my schedule. I changed my undergrad major from bio to applied math, so essentially i am about a year behind on getting med school prerequisites done. I still intend on keeping my math major, but I would like to reincorporate chem, bio, organic and physics into my schedule. I would have orginally planned on graduating in Spring of 07, and I just cannot see myself keeping that pace with the extra courses, so I figure that I would need about an extra two terms. What im mostly concerned with is the placement of the classes in my schedule. Is it better to take physics or organic before the MCAT. I suppose that IDEALLY i would take the MCAT in April of 08, but im not sure if that is enough time to study. Anyway, I would really appriciate some input.

Some notes: My school is on a quarter system. I have already completed physics 1 +lab and chem 1 +lab. The * means it is upper division, purely for my own records (we have an upper div credit requirement) UPPER Bio would be filled with an upper division bio class. probably Molecular or genetics.

Anyway, let me know what you think.

Fall 05
Math 256 4
Math 281 4
French 201 4
Multicultural 4?

Winter 06
Math 282 4
Math 342 *4
French 202 4
Chem 222 4
Chem 228 2

Spring 06
Upper division Math
French 203
Chem 223
Chem 229

Fall 06
Bio 251 5
Math 315 *4
Upper Div *4

Winter 07
Math 462 *4
Physics 202 4
Physics 205 2
Bio 252 5

Spring 07
Math 463 *4
Physics 203 4
Physics 206 2
Bio 253 5

Fall 07
Organic I *4
LAB I *3
Upper BIO *4

Winter 08
Organic II *4
LAB II *3
Upper BIO *4

Edited for formatting.

Members don't see this ad.

I need a bump

So you are planning on taking a year off after college before medical school? If yes, then take it April 2008. You should enroll in a class or something though to prepare for it if you are worried about not being prepared in time.

If you aren't planning on taking a year off after college you should take the MCAT April 2007. Ideally you would take Orgo before you take the test... but I don't know if you could work that out. Maybe you could learn from MCAT prep materials alone? You would probably have to study a lot next summer.

Good luck!