Scheduling med school interviews while living abroad

RTG

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I just wanted to get some feedback from people who applied to US med schools while living/studying abroad. I plan on teaching English in China for the coming year and hopefully scheduling interviews in a 1 month (or maybe even longer) block of time when I would come back to the states. I have received many different answers from people regarding this issue. My premed advisers and other med students have told me that med schools would probably try to accommodate me and that I should go for it. But at the same time, other people have told me that this is a bad idea and not feasible because med schools would not try to accommodate me. Do you think it is feasible to live abroad and apply to med school in the same year?

TheRealMD

"The Mac Guy"
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 23, 2007
Houston, Texas
Status
Medical Student
Depends on how competitive you are. You have to remember that later interviews put you at a disadvantage (how much is debatable) plus you'd have to throw in some luck that they'll all occur during the same block of time. If you aren't competitive, you're at their mercy as to when they give you an interview in the first place.

jelly476

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey hey its your lucky day. I live in Japan where I teach English, and I applied this year to med schools. I applied to 27 schools and completed secondaries at 22 of them. Once I had done that, I sent each of them an email telling them about my situation and asking them to be accomodating if I was granted an interview. So I interviewed at 4 med schools over winter vacation as they all let me choose when I wanted to come (even the ones that were like please schedule within this certain period) so they are understanding. However, I got 2 more interviews later on and while I could choose the time, it was much more rushed as they only gave me a few weeks (since it was near the end of the interview season). Long story short, just get your apps in early and then you will be granted interviews earlier affording you the opportunity to pick when you want to come. Note that while I was able to do this for the schools I interviewed at, your list will obviously be different and maybe not all schools will be as accomodating.

OP
R

RTG

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks a lot for the reply! if you were able to do it applying to 22 schools, I know I wont have a problem.

flip26

10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Seems like applying early would be especially important for you.

Not sure what state you are from, but I have read tons of examples of applicants who applied early, interviewed at their state school(s) in a one or two week period in September, and had acceptances in hand on October 15.

Talk about convenient!