Scheduling... Need Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kraus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright. Before I even ask for help with this I want to try to keep the flames down to a minimum. I was feeling particularly academic last week and decided to try to plan my schedule out until I graduate....

The questions I really need answered are, when should I take the MCAT?
Do I need to rearrange some of the sciences?
When do I apply?
Can I take Statistics instead of Calc II, or do I need to take one or the other or both?

If I had those questions figured out for my particular schedule I would be set. Also, I tried asking a pre-med advisor at my school to help with this, but he said he wouldn't waste the time- I look to you all instead.

P.S. - I know I can handle the summer load, I took 5 classes last summer and scored all A's.
P.P.S. - Am I missing any classes that would greatly benefit me?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Kraus

Spring 2003:

ENGL 102 3 Units
M AR 203 (Major) 3 Units
M AR 210 (Major) 3 Units
2nd Semester Gen-Chem 3 Units
2nd Semester Gen-Chem Lab 1 Unit
Span 101 4 Units

Summer 2003:

Trigonometry 2 Units
1st Semester Biology 3 Units
1st Semester Biology Lab 1 Unit
2nd Semester Biology 3 Units
2nd Semester Biology Lab 1 Unit

(Upper Division Now)

Fall 2003:

Span 102 3 Units
Statistics 3 Units
Media Culture Class (Major) 3 Units
1st Semester O-Chem 3 Units
1st Semester O-Chem Lab 1 Units

Spring 2004:

Span 201 3 Units
2nd Semester O-Chem 3 Units
2nd Semester O-Chem Lab 1 Unit
1st Semester Physics 3 Units
1st Semester Physics Lab 1 Unit

Summer 2004:

3 Units of Emphasis (Major) 3 Units
Media Productions (Major) 3 Units
3 Units of Media Productions (Major) 3 Units
Span 201 3 Units

Fall 2004:

Classics 220 3 Units
Calc 1 5 Units
2nd Semester Physics 3 Units
2nd Semester Physics Lab 1 Unit
3 Units of Writing Emphasis (Major) 3 Units

Spring 2005:

Spanish 202 3 Units
Metabolic Biochemistry (Minor) 3 Units
Nucleic Acid Biochemistry (Minor) 3 Units

Havent figured yet:
BIOC Directed Research (Minor) 1-6 Units

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a sophomore? Because yeah, that is a lot of advance planning. Hell, I didn't even know when I was going to graduate until this summer. My questions:

1. Are you sure you'll be able to register for all this stuff?

2. I'm taking stats, and purposely not applying to any schools that require calc. I'd rather chop off my left foot than take another semester.

3. Just make sure you have some fun classes too, okay?;)

Members don't see this ad :)
lol. i tried to do the very same thing when i first started college. the thing that i learned is that it doesnt work. of course it is a good idea to have a general idea of what you want to take, but it is almost impossible to plan it down to the exact classes. things always change, scheduling conflicts, you dont like the prof. that is teaching that semester, and new interests arrise. like i just added a thtr minor this summer that i had no clue i was going to do in the beginning. As for the MCAT, you should take it in april of your junior year. make sure you have finished g-chem, organic, and biology beforehand. other classes good to take for it include physiology, genetics, and biochem. But most importantly, dont spend to much time worrying about this now. there is plenty of time to do that in the future! :)

good point woots. where are the electives? i live for those classes. the semesters where i took all science classes....blah. thats no fun.

I am a sophomore, technically- I should be a freshman however, but I skipped a year. Just turned 19.

I've checked every class and I'm 99% sure that all of the classes will remain "takeable" during the intended sessions.

Kraus

What is your major?

I would suggest never splitting up 1st and 2nd semester classes as you have done with Physics. You should always try to take 2 semester courses in the same school year. It keeps things more fresh in your mind.

MCAT is ususally taken in the spring semester of your junior year. The spring semester right before you apply to med school. If you do poorly, you take it August of the year you are applying.

I would STRONGLY suggest taking Physiology before you take the MCAT. Especially with someone who doesn't have any extra Biology classes. And without a doubt you need to take Cell (Molecular) Biology. Those two classes will help you SOOOOOO much on the MCAT.

If you don't do well on the April MCAT, I would also suggest you take NONE or 1 class in the summer. You will need the summer months to study so you can do better.

You don't need calculus for most med schools. You ususally only need 2 semesters of college level math. I accidently took precalc, calculus and stats because I thought that was what I needed and my advisor wasn't paying attention that semester when I met with him.

I hope this helps. Just remember nothing is written in stone and things can change. Good luck:)

Originally posted by Kraus
I am a sophomore, technically- I should be a freshman however, but I skipped a year. Just turned 19.

What's your hurry? I'm just starting the 2nd of 2 years off after college before starting med school, and it's heavenly. I didn't take the MCAT until August of the summer after I graduated. I had planned to take it that spring, but just couldn't (or didn't want to) devote enough time to preparing for it while in school. I too was a year ahead, and I just decided to take a breather before starting the grind all over again. But if you are going to take the MCAT during spring of your junior year, you need to finish physics first. And I agree with Amy on leaving the option of a mostly free summer in case you ending up taking the MCAT again (or for the first time if, like me, you find you're not prepared enough in the spring). I too had a very detailed plan as a sophomore, but it changed many, many times before I graduated. Professors died, left the faculty, or just stopped offering courses. I decided I wanted to study abroad. An internship came up in Alaska. Everything does not have to be pre-med, pre-med, pre-med!! (Unless you like it that way!) Good luck, and have fun in college!! :D :cool: :D