Scheduling PGY-1 IM year rotations

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by Magree, May 20, 2002.

1. Magree

Magree Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi:

I'm scheduling my electives etc. for my Im internship. Can some current residents comment on the value/experience in the ICU - is it better to do 2 months of it instead of one? I'd heard it was tough but that you learned a lot of medicine. Any other comments on the flow of work load - what to take earlier in the year vs. later would be appreciated. Thanx.

M-

2. Sevo

Sevo Senior Member
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Magree:
    <strong>Hi:

I'm scheduling my electives etc. for my Im internship. Can some current residents comment on the value/experience in the ICU - is it better to do 2 months of it instead of one? I'd heard it was tough but that you learned a lot of medicine. Any other comments on the flow of work load - what to take earlier in the year vs. later would be appreciated. Thanx.

M-</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">One warning: Some programs, including mine, only allow a maximum of one ICU month per year. You should touch bases with your program director on this.

3. Magree

Magree Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi SEvo:

Wow - I wasn't aware of that. Just checked the paperwork and it says 1-2 months - not sure what dictates the exact amount. Why does your program limit it to just 1 month?

M-

4. Rads

Rads Member
    7+ Year Member

Don't do more ICU than you have to.

5. Magree

Magree Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi Rads:

Why do you say that? Did you not like the ICU?

M-

6. Rads

Rads Member
    7+ Year Member

ICU was fine, and like others have said was a very valuable learning experience. The flip side of that coin, is that it is tiring and carries with it a tough call schedule. If you have to do 2 ICU months, attempt to separate them as much as possible.

7. NuMD97

NuMD97 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

In our PGY-1 year, three unit months were required: CCU or ICU. I landed two CCU's and one ICU. I would have personally preferred the two ICU months, probably because in our hospital there was a greater learning opportunity for the ICU as opposed to the CCU month. But ICU is exhausting and a daunting challenge. The Marino text would have helped prior to the rotation, which seems to be the ICU "Bible". Just a thought. Good luck.

8. Sevo

Sevo Senior Member
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Magree:
    <strong>Hi SEvo:

Wow - I wasn't aware of that. Just checked the paperwork and it says 1-2 months - not sure what dictates the exact amount. Why does your program limit it to just 1 month?

M-</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Scheduling difficulties, popularity of the rotation, et al. I will be in all three of our units next year - MICU, CCU, and SICU - but again, just one MICU month.

As others here have alluded to, MICU can be pretty intense. As the acronym suggests -- these patients require intensive supervision and you will be drained not only by call, but also the day-to-day management of your patients. On the flip side, you will be doing quite a few procedures (namely lines, intubations, et al) and you will finish your month with a basic handle on how to handle septic and ventilator-dependent patients. Furthermore, if your month went the way mine did as a student, no GI bleeds will never, ever, stop you in your tracks again.

9. Magree

Magree Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi:

Thanks for everyone's replies. I just got a copy of marino and will try to read a bit before I start. Most people swear by it . I didn't do any MICU as a med student (did some PICU though) so I wasn't quite sure what to expect.

M-