Scheduling problems :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoshuaGuit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am making my schedule for next semester (Fall) and I'm having trouble with deciding what courses I should take.

The pre med outline for my major lists:
Materials Science for engineers (supposedly a really tough class)
Intro to Diffeq
Beg. to C programming
Phys 2
Engineering analysis (tough class, average ~C for class, got a B+)

I have already taken engineering analysis during my first semester here, so I don't need to take that. However, I should have taken intro to bio first semester which I did not know I had to take.

I have not yet taken physics 1 yet, so that would be replaced with physics 2.

Orgo 1/2 are outlined in junior year, along with other really tough classes (but sound like fun).

I'm also behind by one humanities course because I decided not to take one this semester.

What are the advantages of taking orgo 1/2 sophomore year with that schedule and taking it junior year with perhaps an even tougher schedule?

I want to be studying for the MCATs, but I'll either not have finished orgo 1/2or not have finished physics 1/2 while I should be studying... it's a pickle!

Also, I was thinking of taking the intro to bio class that I missed first semester and the humanities class that I missed this semester at a local university back at home during the summer (a campus of UCONN). I realize that primarily it is looked down upon to take courses at a lower tier university, but would this still be the case even though it's a really low level bio course and just an english course when later in undergrad I'll be taking Modeling for Biomedical Systems, Advanced Systems Physiology, Bioengineering Lab, etc. ?

Sorry if my questions are kind of confusing... I'll try to write them clearer:

1) Orgo 1/2 before phys 1/2? With a demanding schedule for both years
2) Is it ok to take a lower bio course at a lower tier university?

Thanks!

Joshua

Members don't see this ad.

Dude, your post is quite rambling...

#1 Find out what courses you need to complete your degree (keep your eye on the prize)

You should know what term courses are offered, and what classes are prerequisites for others you need to take. Plan out your semesters so you don't end up in a bind.

#2 Plan on completing all med school prerequisites no later than spring of your junior year.
This will allow you to take the MCAT and apply early, avoiding a "gap year".

#3 Take a course load that you can handle and perform well with.
#4 Don't rely on an advisor or others to tell you what to do. Take ownership of your college education. Certainly listen to and consider advice, but you are responsible for the decisions you make.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh...and don't worry about studying for the MCAT until the spring of your junior year. Focusing on doing well in your coursework is the best prep you can do right now.

Hi

I am making my schedule for next semester (Fall) and I'm having trouble with deciding what courses I should take.

The pre med outline for my major lists:
Materials Science for engineers (supposedly a really tough class)
Intro to Diffeq
Beg. to C programming
Phys 2
Engineering analysis (tough class, average ~C for class, got a B+)

I have already taken engineering analysis during my first semester here, so I don't need to take that. However, I should have taken intro to bio first semester which I did not know I had to take.

I have not yet taken physics 1 yet, so that would be replaced with physics 2.

Orgo 1/2 are outlined in junior year, along with other really tough classes (but sound like fun).

I'm also behind by one humanities course because I decided not to take one this semester.

What are the advantages of taking orgo 1/2 sophomore year with that schedule and taking it junior year with perhaps an even tougher schedule?

I want to be studying for the MCATs, but I'll either not have finished orgo 1/2or not have finished physics 1/2 while I should be studying... it's a pickle!

Also, I was thinking of taking the intro to bio class that I missed first semester and the humanities class that I missed this semester at a local university back at home during the summer (a campus of UCONN). I realize that primarily it is looked down upon to take courses at a lower tier university, but would this still be the case even though it's a really low level bio course and just an english course when later in undergrad I'll be taking Modeling for Biomedical Systems, Advanced Systems Physiology, Bioengineering Lab, etc. ?

Sorry if my questions are kind of confusing... I'll try to write them clearer:

1) Orgo 1/2 before phys 1/2? With a demanding schedule for both years
2) Is it ok to take a lower bio course at a lower tier university?

Thanks!

Joshua

Joshua, I am going to be frank with you right now. Additionally, I think I have the answer to your problem.

You need to... sry, my soaps just came on bbl.