Scheduling Question for Fall '09/Winter '10/MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMedHopeful

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So in the fall, I'm taking organic chemistry 1, physics 1, and should I also take Microbiology???

In the spring, I'm taking organic chemistry 2, physics 2, and should I also take Genetics???

I'm debating about micro and genetics because I took my AP BIO credits for Bio 1 and 2 so I took Anatomy/Physiology 1 and 2 instead freshman year and got B's and wondered if I should take Micro and Genetics to get the A since Organic is the only tough class at my college from what I hear....physics is a joke-no engineering college:)

But still that will be 18 credits each semester if I take 1-2 more Bio major electives such as biomedical ethics, literature, ecology, philosophy, environmental science, biotechnology, public health, or chem minor classes like geochemistry, clinical chemistry, or environmental chemistry...

This is my sophomore/junior schedule all leading to the grand finale: MCAT....

SO with the BIG MCAT in mind, remember that I will be taking a prep course during SPRING 2010....so should I take those BIO classes like micro and genetics, should I skip the electives which aren't necessary and save them for my senior year....

MCAT-Should I take a review course in Feb-April 2010 and then finals in April and then exam in May and again in July/August???

OR

Should I take the course in Jan-March 2010, take MCAT in March and then again in May or July if necessary...

OR

Should I take the MCAT only once in July/August and just study all summer but then I can't take it twice...so what if I mess up once...and many people say it's best to take it twice since you get over the anxiety the first time....

PLEASE SHARE YOUR INPUT, SUGGESTIONS, AND RECCOMENDATIONS, THANKS!!!

Members don't see this ad.

why on earth would you plan to take the exam twice? that's like trying to jinx your first scores, unless you want to pay $200+ to void the exam and just get a better feel for test day conditions.

i say prep as if you are definitely only going to take it once. dont take it until you are getting the practice scores you want and feel confident you can do well on the exam.

in terms of class schedule.. you should know your limits after 1 year of college so do whatever you feel is in your best interest gpa-wise.

I'm kind of confused. Are you a sophomore or a Junior?

I wouldn't recommend the organic, physics, micro combination but thats because last semester I took an upper level psych class (not hard but tons of busy work) orgo 2, physics 1, micro, and a research class. It was doable but micro and organic tests were always either the same day (back to back actually) or one was monday and one was wednesday, and that was a pain. It also depends on your EC's though.

Also the semester that your planning to take the MCAT I wouldnt take that many credit hours because you need to set aside a few hours each day to study.

I am confused though because if you take a March MCAT will you be done with all the pre reqs? Because if I'm not mistaken you said you would be taking some of the pre reqs that spring.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks Redlight for the advice...

Ravensgal: I'm a junior next year...(I'm doing undergrad in 3 years so my soph year=junior year since my freshman year was like my sophomore year...blah blah)

Ravensgal: I'll be finished with the Pre-reqs for MCAT by end of April, 2010...but was planning my MCAT course to be somewhere in between Jan-April 2010 so I could take the exam anywhere between March 2010 to July 2010....

I hope I clarified your confusion and please people SHARE your INPUT, ADVICE, SUGGESTIONS...this is why it's SDN-a network of people helping people answer questions and improving people's chances of getting into medical school:)

What about taking a May MCAT when you're done with all your pre reqs but still leaving you time to take it again if need be ?

yeah right now I'm thinking a end of May MCAT and then if I need to retake it it will be either July or August, but end of summer....how long does it take for the score to come and I dread that day already...:(