1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Scheduling vacation

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by rvca1981, Jan 7, 2009.

1. rvca1981

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    To all the private practice guys out there, How do you guys schedule vacations with the shift type schedule. Is it easy to take a vacation when you need it? I couldn't find any info and was curious to see some answers. Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. po' boy

po' boy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Depends on the group setup, size, staffing, and many other factors. I work in a private democratic group and we are guaranteed at least three or four weeks off a year. No more than two of us can be on vacation at a given time, and the sign-up sheet is posted up to a year in advance. I listed my preferences about two months ago, and am headed to Maui in five hours for ten glorious days.

4. Midwest Medic

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    For our group, a private democratic group with 15 in it total, we have a set number of shifts to work each month. You can vary a little, say going down 2-3 days a month if needed. for us, we can request a certain block of time off, but then work the rest of the month. For most, a week off is no big deal at all. If you are hoping for 2-3 weeks off, you just request it at the end of one month, and the beginning of the next month. Makes those two months hell, but it works out.

5. GeneralVeers

GeneralVeers Globus Hystericus
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm in a large regional group. We have approximately 20 physicians locally in the group at 3 hospitals.

Our scheduling is done online. As long as you make the deadline, you can use the electronic scheduling software to request up to 10 days per month off, and be guaranteed to get it. This is great for planning vacations.

6. rvca1981

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks guys i really appreciate the info

7. NinerNiner999

NinerNiner999 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    But don't expect to be "paid" for your time off unless its in your contract. If you don't put in your monthly hours around your vacation, it will be an expensive vacation...