Scheduling vacation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rvca1981

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all the private practice guys out there, How do you guys schedule vacations with the shift type schedule. Is it easy to take a vacation when you need it? I couldn't find any info and was curious to see some answers. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

To all the private practice guys out there, How do you guys schedule vacations with the shift type schedule. Is it easy to take a vacation when you need it? I couldn't find any info and was curious to see some answers. Thanks

Depends on the group setup, size, staffing, and many other factors. I work in a private democratic group and we are guaranteed at least three or four weeks off a year. No more than two of us can be on vacation at a given time, and the sign-up sheet is posted up to a year in advance. I listed my preferences about two months ago, and am headed to Maui in five hours for ten glorious days.

For our group, a private democratic group with 15 in it total, we have a set number of shifts to work each month. You can vary a little, say going down 2-3 days a month if needed. for us, we can request a certain block of time off, but then work the rest of the month. For most, a week off is no big deal at all. If you are hoping for 2-3 weeks off, you just request it at the end of one month, and the beginning of the next month. Makes those two months hell, but it works out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in a large regional group. We have approximately 20 physicians locally in the group at 3 hospitals.

Our scheduling is done online. As long as you make the deadline, you can use the electronic scheduling software to request up to 10 days per month off, and be guaranteed to get it. This is great for planning vacations.

Thanks guys i really appreciate the info

But don't expect to be "paid" for your time off unless its in your contract. If you don't put in your monthly hours around your vacation, it will be an expensive vacation...