Scheduling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Wexler

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some of the different types of schedules that Emergency Physicians work? I have heard some work 2 weeks on 2 weeks off but I was looking for some more detailed information. What are the different types of shifts you have worked/heard of? Also, what is block scheduling?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on where you work, how many attendings there are, the patient volume, and what you WANT to work. Also, how young you are.

Some people prefer nights, others hate it.

Usually you'll work 36-48 hours a week. Depends. I know some hospitals that the EPs do 8 hr shifts, others 12... you can see how it can really change. A lot of my attendings will work 3-4 days in a row and get like 5-6 off.

Q, DO

Par for the course, Quinn is absolutely right. Depending on the volume, 8's or 12's. In rural areas, docs will do 24's (but see, on average, 1-2 patients per hour); at the same time, these rural docs are very, very frequently not EM-trained, and are often moonlighting residents.

One place I know, most attendings do 12 shifts a month, but one (who wants to retire before 50) does 20/month.

Now, think about that - 20 8 hour shifts/month. That's what a "regular job" does...but, being an EM doc, getting paid 4-5X's as much per hour...pretty smooth...

Members don't see this ad :)
I just started my first post residency job and here is my general schedule:

36 hours/ week averaged over the month

28 day month = 12 shifts
31 day month = 14 shifts

Mostly 12 hour shifts with some 11.5 and a few 8's.