biogirl215

10+ Year Member
May 1, 2007
Status
Just out of blatant curiousity, what's considered EBM for schizotypal PD?: Are there any proven non-pharm methods (i.e., DBT for BPD)? I would imagine that antipsychotics aren't generally used unless there are psychotic flare-ups, as the behavoirs/symptoms usually register at below-clinical levels, but I'm not a psychiatrist/psychologist so I could be very well mistaken... It seems like this would be difficult disorder to treat.

Thanks!

JackD

-
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2007
-
Status
Attending Physician
I would imagine that antipsychotics aren't generally used unless there are psychotic flare-ups
I was told in my psychopathology course that anti-psychotics are preferred treatment, especially since the disorder is so closely related to schizophrenia.

The professor might have been wrong but he said that anti-psychotics are used for those willing to use them.

erg923

Regional Clinical Officer, Centene Corporation
10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2007
Louisville, KY
Status
Psychologist
In the same vein as other PDs, you rarely see a patient who presents to your office because they are concerned with their Schizotypal PD, and your focus of treatment is often an Axis I conditions in these patients. The literature does not have any manualized EVT treatments for schizotypal PD as a whole. Psychotherapeutic treatments targeting maladaptive personality traits will largely be situation and symptom specific in these cases. In clinical settings, true schizotypal PD is largely seen as an attenuated form of schizophrenia.

OP
biogirl215

biogirl215

10+ Year Member
May 1, 2007
Status
Okay... So has therapy (any specific kind) been shown to have any d/o-specific positive (not as in positive symptoms) effect with SPD patients as a group, or is it pretty much just dealing with the d/o as effects arise and/or meds?