Scholarship at school I'm not crazy about or debt at a school I love part 2!

Discussion in 'Financial Aid' started by lnb22, May 12, 2008.

1. lnb22

Pre-Medical
    Ok sorry about re-posting on the same issue, but I just wanted to clarify the two schools I was talking about in case anyone has an opinion on how well either of the schools prepare you for your career as a physician. (Earlier I posted about how I got a full scholarship at one school that I didn't necessarily like a whole lot but I didn't get any aid at a school that I really loved.) So the school I got the scholarship at is UAB, and the school I loved is Emory. Any additional thoughts on what I should do? May 15 is approaching too fast!!! :) Thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. hawk126

Medical Student
    Not to pick on you, but I don't understand people for whom this is an issue... When, in the real world, would you ever choose to pay $150,000-$250,000 for something you could get for free (assuming you have a full-ride to UAB)? Are the "nice people" and "curriculum" worth $200,000 plus approx. $90,000 interest you'll end up paying?

If you're independently wealthy or your parents are going to finance your medical education, that's one thing. However, if you're really contemplating Emory while you're holding a golden ticket at UAB, that tells me you have yet to live out in the real world. Out here, you figure out really quickly that things like "a school you really love" aren't worth a heckuva lot given free alternatives. No-brainer: go to UAB

Apologies for the rant.