scholarship committee vs admissions committee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freedoctor17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying for a scholarship at one school and one of the essays is the same as an essay from the secondary (a diversity question). Are people on admissions ever also on the scholarship committee? Would it be a bad idea to use the same essay again? My answer hasn't changed so I don't really see the point in rewriting it.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, people on admissions may be on scholarship committee as well

Yes it would be a bad idea to use the same one

The point is what does it say about the motivation of an applicant who spends the time and effort to craft an essay specifically for the scholarship committee compared to one who simply cuts and pastes in a previously submitted essay?

That is fair. Thank you, I will write a new one.

Reactions: 1 user
Every time you have an opportunity to write something to the med school, is an opportunity to give them more positive data points about what makes you a good and unique candidate. Take advantage of that even if it's more work. You have to consider what each one communicates about you separately, and also in combination. You want them to both be self contained and able to stand alone, yet both reinforce the themes of why you, but also not repetitive for someone reading both. They should complement each other, and each one say something a little different about you, while not only giving half the story. I hope this makes sense.

Reactions: 1 users
Every time you have an opportunity to write something to the med school, is an opportunity to give them more positive data points about what makes you a good and unique candidate. Take advantage of that even if it's more work. You have to consider what each one communicates about you separately, and also in combination. You want them to both be self contained and able to stand alone, yet both reinforce the themes of why you, but also not repetitive for someone reading both. They should complement each other, and each one say something a little different about you, while not only giving half the story. I hope this makes sense.

That does make a lot of sense and it's what I ended up doing! Finished my first draft earlier today and just made it very complementary to my secondary one. Reflects similar ideas but with new information that I think make it better. I'm gonna have to review it again and compare it to my original before I submit to make sure it's all good but overall I'm happy I wrote a new one. Was able to add more than I expected.

Reactions: 2 users