• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Scholarship/Fellowships. and schools where you have better chance of getting them..

LMav

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2005
    Hello folks -
    I had been a silent spectator for a while. Great forum, lots of useful info. My first ever post...

I'm planning to apply for 2006. And been going through potential schools that I want to apply. Some of them have like 290K(BU/NYU) tuition fee...and some like 140K (minimum for out of state, well at least in my list)

My question(s) is - (sorry if this question has been covered before)...

1) What are the chances of one getting scholarship? How much % of people would generally get some kind of scholarships?

2) Is it possible to get any tuition waivers?

3) How much time one is allowed to work in campus?

4) Any research assistanceship??...Also would you need to apply for scholarship while you are sending application, or is this something you have to do after you get admission/interview?

Would be great if you guys can let me know of any schools that have better chances of getting scholarships?

Thanks for your help in advance..!!

DMD_hopeful

Registered lunatic
    10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Aug 28, 2004
      LMav said:
      Hello folks -
      I had been a silent spectator for a while. Great forum, lots of useful info. My first ever post...

I'm planning to apply for 2006. And been going through potential schools that I want to apply. Some of them have like 290K(BU/NYU) tuition fee...and some like 140K (minimum for out of state, well at least in my list)

Welcome to the party!

1) What are the chances of one getting scholarship? How much % of people would generally get some kind of scholarships?

-Not sure of what percent of applicants get scholarships. I was offered 2, 1 from my state school (4 year renewable with certain GPA) and another that was only a one-time deal.

-Not too sure on this one. I don't imagine there are too many. IMO, why are they going to take pity on you for being less fortunate when you are eventually going to be a dentist earning the big bucks? That said, there are a lot of programs that pretty much pay for your school in return for service afterwards (Navy, health corps, etc.)

-Probably a question best answered by an actual dental student.

From what I have heard there isn't much time to work during the first 2 yrs of dental school.

4) Any research assistanceship??...Also would you need to apply for scholarship while you are sending application, or is this something you have to do after you get admission/interview?

-Dont know about research. The scholarship offer I received came with my acceptance. Check out the school websites, some have scholarships available for current students.

Would be great if you guys can let me know of any schools that have better chances of getting scholarships?

-Probably your state school. Then again I've seen some people on this site who got 1/2 tuition scholarships to some pretty pricey private schools, so ya never know.

Biogirl361

1K Member
      7+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Mar 7, 2004
        LMav said:
        Hello folks -

My question(s) is - (sorry if this question has been covered before)...

Thanks for your help in advance..!!

1) it depends on the school. some schools don't offer any at all while some offer them to up to 25% of incoming freshmen (at least that's what i've heard). I think on average assuming a school does offer scholarships at all it would probably only be to their top 5 or 10 candidates (but if these people reject the offer then the offer gets passed down to their next choices... which is how i think i got mine).
        2) i have never heard of tuition waivers other than some schools offer to waive the additional cost of out of state tuition for highly qualified out of state applicants (again probably only their top 5 or 10 picks initially, then working down the list).
        3) i don't think there are any rules for how much you can and can't work, but from what i've heard from the dental students on this board i promise you will not have much if any time to work with your dental school responsibilities.
        4) don't know anything about research. you do not have to apply for the academic scholarships, you're automatically entered when you apply. private scholarships you could apply for whenever they are available.

About the Ads

ToothMonkey

7+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Mar 1, 2004
          Dental scholarships generally are either obscenely competitive or amount to a piddling sum of money in the grand scheme of things (usually <$1000). They're worth applying for once you're in school but it's certainly not advisable to factor scholarship opportunities into your decision on which school to attend. Plan on paying for everything with loans, and if you get any free money then look at it as a pleasant bonus.

I've never heard of this (the HSPS & NHSC programs are the closest you'll get). Schools may have need-based scholarships, and there are some advantageous federal loans available to students from disadvantaged backgrounds, but that's it. Don't count on your school doing you any favors (why would they when so many other qualified candidates would love to have your seat in the incoming class?).

As much as you want. Contrary to popular opinion on these boards, you should have extra time with which to work...particularly if you don't plan on specializing. The only question is whether you want to use those precious hours of freedom for (yet more) work rather than recreation.

Research opportunities vary by school. Most opportunities are available after you arrive, but IIRC some schools have summer projects for incoming DS1's. You'll have to check with each to find out what they have available and how competitive each program is.

Mo007

Gifted Hands
          10+ Year Member
          15+ Year Member
          Aug 24, 2003
          Columbus, OH
            to the OP:

Nova has (full) academic scholarships available to all students, first come first served bases - depending on the funds available to the school (according to the financial aid representative I met during my interview at the school). Other schools might have similar type, but most schools determine you eligibilty during the admission process, usually granted with acceptance to their program.

Some schools, such as Louisville, have summer research oppertunity between D1 and D2, with stipends around $3000. You will have to check with schools on this, stipends will be mandatory if they offer it (I would assume).

There are tons of private scholarships, and if you shop well, you should qualify for some, if you apply let's say.... 50. :laugh: - trust me, this works.

Good Luck

reLAXgirl

10+ Year Member
            5+ Year Member
            Dec 7, 2004
            Rocky Mtn West
              University of Iowa awards scholarships to all out of state residents. Some are required to put in research hours while others are awarded based on diversity qualification. These compensate for the discrepency in tuition, giving about half tuition each year. Schools with research money tend to have more scholarship adn research grant money to give to students. Consider them if you are interseted in scholarship money if you have the qualifications.

Tzips

Chocoholic
              10+ Year Member
              5+ Year Member
              Nov 10, 2004
              Peering around the corner...
              1. Resident [Any Field]
                ToothMonkey said:
                Dental scholarships generally are either obscenely competitive or amount to a piddling sum of money in the grand scheme of things (usually <$1000). They're worth applying for once you're in school but it's certainly not advisable to factor scholarship opportunities into your decision on which school to attend. Plan on paying for everything with loans, and if you get any free money then look at it as a pleasant bonus.

I actually don't agree with this at all. Just in terms of personal experience, I recieved a four-year renewable scholarship to a certain school that effectively cut the tution bill (which was pretty low in any case) in half. Call me mercenary, call me just crazy allergic to extra debt, but that did play a role in my decision to attend that school. And AFAIK, one doesn't apply for academic scholarships - the school decided based on the stats of those they have accepted, and the offer is generally sent at the same time/along with the acceptance notification.

LMav

10+ Year Member
                5+ Year Member
                Feb 14, 2005
                  Thanks guys, great information. It's good to know that if you work hard you can have a good chance locking into one of these scholarships. Also it's nice to know that if you are eligible based on stats you would be notified automatically.
                  I would be mostly applying for out-of-state schools and some private ones, so it really helps when the school helps with the tuition. In some schools the difference between instate and out-of-state is pretty much 100%.

So far the schools mentioned are ..

1. Nova
                  2. Univ of Iowa
                  3. Univ of Louisville

Please add it to the list, if you guys know any more information.

Tzips, what school you got the scholarship from if you don't mind mentioning.

LMav

Biogirl361

1K Member
                  7+ Year Member
                  15+ Year Member
                  Mar 7, 2004
                    LMav said:
                    Thanks guys, great information. It's good to know that if you work hard you can have a good chance locking into one of these scholarships. Also it's nice to know that if you are eligible based on stats you would be notified automatically.
                    I would be mostly applying for out-of-state schools and some private ones, so it really helps when the school helps with the tuition. In some schools the difference between instate and out-of-state is pretty much 100%.

So far the schools mentioned are ..

1. Nova
                    2. Univ of Iowa
                    3. Univ of Louisville

Please add it to the list, if you guys know any more information.

Tzips, what school you got the scholarship from if you don't mind mentioning.

LMav

4. Case Western (up to 20,000/yr)
                    5. U Penn (1/2 tuition)
                    6. Minnesota (waivers of out of state tuition)
                    7. NYU

Tzips

Chocoholic
                    10+ Year Member
                    5+ Year Member
                    Nov 10, 2004
                    1. Resident [Any Field]
                      1. NOVA
                      2. U of Iowa
                      3. U of Louisville
                      5. U Penn (1/2 tuition)
                      7. NYU (they give out some full scholarships
                      8. UoP (Dean's Scholarship - not sure how much it is)
                      9. UMDNJ

And I know Stonybrook doesn't give anything at all, but for instaters it's very cheap (relatively speaking :D ).

Jaws

10+ Year Member
                      5+ Year Member
                      Sep 30, 2004
                        It also depends on what state you are from. If you are from a WICHE state (mostly western states without a dental school), there are some schools in which your out-of-state tuition becomes an instate tuition.

kato999

10+ Year Member
                        7+ Year Member
                        May 2, 2004
                        1. Dentist
                          Tufts offered one for 8k/year. I don't think it had anything to do with finacial need or race, but I think I would have needed to keep a certain gpa to hold onto it.

Biogirl361

1K Member
                          7+ Year Member
                          15+ Year Member
                          Mar 7, 2004
                            kato999 said:
                            Tufts offered one for 8k/year. I don't think it had anything to do with finacial need or race, but I think I would have needed to keep a certain gpa to hold onto it.

yeah that is another thing, the 4 year renewable scholarships are almost always if not always contingent on maintaining high grades while in d school. mine is must maintain a 3.5 or top 25% in the class, which is reasonable - they aren't going to pay for you to go there and slack off :)

Tzips

Chocoholic
                            10+ Year Member
                            5+ Year Member
                            Nov 10, 2004
                            1. Resident [Any Field]
                              1. NOVA
                              2. U of Iowa
                              3. U of Louisville
                              5. U Penn (1/2 tuition)
                              7. NYU (they give out some full scholarships)
                              8. UoP (Dean's Scholarship - not sure how much it is)
                              9. UMDNJ
                              10. Maryland

About the Ads
                              This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                              7. This thread is locked.