scholarship from dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dooley11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do dental schools give scholarships to their students?

Members don't see this ad.

Do dental schools give scholarships to their students?

Well, from what I know...

Penn: Top 25 admitted students get half off tuition. Ends up being 120k over 4 years. This is huge as it's the equivalent of paying in-state tuition.

Columbia: 1 or 2 admitted students get half off tuition. 120k over 4 years.

NYU: Apparently, many people are offered scholarships to offset the cost of living in NYC. How much they give you depends on how much they want you.

These scholarships are usually conditional, and if you don't get above a certain GPA, they will take it away the following year.

Well, from what I know...

Penn: Top 25 admitted students get half off tuition. Ends up being 120k over 4 years. This is huge as it's the equivalent of paying in-state tuition.

Columbia: 1 or 2 admitted students get half off tuition. 120k over 4 years.

NYU: Apparently, many people are offered scholarships to offset the cost of living in NYC. How much they give you depends on how much they want you.

These scholarships are usually conditional, and if you don't get above a certain GPA, they will take it away the following year.

what are the scholarships based on? gpa? dat score? or overall quality?

Members don't see this ad :)
what are the scholarships based on? gpa? dat score? or overall quality?

A combination of everything. This is from UPenn website:

http://www.dental.upenn.edu/academi...holarships/penn_dental_medicine_financial_aid

Penn Dental Medicine Dean’s Scholarships
Each year, the Admissions Office awards Dean’s Scholarships to up to 25 very accomplished students who have been offered admission. These scholarships recognize outstanding students on their academic as well as non-academic achievements. Among the factors considered in selecting
scholarship recipients are: academic record, DAT scores, extracurricular activities, pre-dental experience, research experience, community service and
leadership qualities, as assessed by the application and interview with the admissions committee. Recipients are selected from among those who are
admitted through the School’s admissions process. There is no separate application for the Dean’s Scholarships. Scholarships are equal to one-half of the annual tuition amount and, for recipients who remain eligible, are renewable for a maximum of four years. To remain eligible for a scholarship beyond the first year, a recipient must maintain a 3.0 grade point average and remain in good standing. Only students who received a Dean’s Scholarship upon matriculation are eligible to receive the scholarship in subsequent years

WVU offers a tuition waiver for the top top 3 students (used to be top 5). Initially based on undergrad GPA and DATs, but reviewed and changed if needed every year, based on D school GPA/performance

theres usually scholarships you can apply to depending on race/gender. I know I just got a 1000$ one from the hispanic allumni association.

theres usually scholarships you can apply to depending on race/gender. I know I just got a 1000$ one from the hispanic allumni association.

Under represented minorities (African Americans, Hispanics and Native Americans) are eligible for many scholarships once they are admitted into dental school.