Quantcast

Scholarship offered after already PTE'd at another school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cheeezcake

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2018
Messages
298
Reaction score
394

Members don't see this ad.
Forgive me if this has been discussed, I can't find it with the search function.


1. Did this school offer me this after seeing that I had already PTE'd somewhere else as an attempt to lure me back?

2. Their offer is small but twice as much as the school I PTE'd to last week. AMCAS still lets me choose a school on the CYMS tab. Could I still negotiate my larger offer with them?

3. The new offer is for about ~1/3 of my tuition. Could I ask my desired school to increase that? or is it only appropriate to ask for a matched offer?

4. I am waitlisted at my #1 overall choice. Dumb question, but could my two offers from the others schools be used in an update/LOI in some way?



Edit: The first two schools offering are of equal reputation. The third school (my #1 choice) is a higher ranked public school (top 50)
 

Wolvvs

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2017
Messages
856
Reaction score
1,157
1. Could be
2/3. Negotiate with which school? Be careful with the PTE policy--some schools require you to withdraw all other acceptances when you PTE to them after 4/30, and trying to negotiate now would raise eyebrows. If you would choose the school who offered you the larger scholarship if they offered more money, you certainly could reach out to them to negotiate.
4. No, because having another offer makes you less likely to attend that school. They already know because they can see that you selected PTE at another school anyway.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users

KnightDoc

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2019
Messages
8,378
Reaction score
9,624
1. Could be
2/3. Negotiate with which school? Be careful with the PTE policy--some schools require you to withdraw all other acceptances when you PTE to them after 4/30, and trying to negotiate now would raise eyebrows. If you would choose the school who offered you the larger scholarship if they offered more money, you certainly could reach out to them to negotiate.
4. No, because having another offer makes you less likely to attend that school. They already know because they can see that you selected PTE at another school anyway.
This^^^^^^. If you held the other A past 4/30, and you go to the PTE school now asking them to meet or beat it, they are more likely to rescind you than do either. If you just received the A off a WL, that is a different story. If you are indifferent between the two schools, take your shot at the PTE school and be prepared to take the new school's offer if the PTE school tells you to pound sand.

In any case, @Wolvvs is 1,000% correct, telling your #1 school that two lower ranked schools are offering you money before you receive an A from them will guarantee you are never called off that WL.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 2 users

OchemOficionado

Full Member
Staff member
Volunteer Staff
5+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2016
Messages
1,793
Reaction score
2,582
1. Possible. Happened to me last cycle
2. You could try, as long as you aren’t in breach of any PTE/CTE hard rules
3. You could ask
4. I don’t think they care
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cheeezcake

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2018
Messages
298
Reaction score
394
Thank you for the responses! How would y’all go about asking for more aid? As opposed to simply matching the new offer that the other school gave me?
 

TyphoidMary 3

New Member
2+ Year Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2019
Messages
3
Reaction score
1
Are you currently holding two offers or did you decline the school now offering the scholarship?
 

Cheeezcake

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2018
Messages
298
Reaction score
394
Are you currently holding two offers or did you decline the school now offering the scholarship?
Im still holding two offers. I PTE’d to one school last week, but never actually withdrew from the other. If that makes sense
 

TyphoidMary 3

New Member
2+ Year Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2019
Messages
3
Reaction score
1
Makes sense. Does the school you PTE'd at have a policy that you must withdraw from other offers by 4/30. If so, I don't see how you can request matching aid. If it was new offer from a waitlist position it would be different. If they do allow you to hold multiple offers post PTE, I'd think you would need to mention the other offer and funding, otherwise I'm not sure that would be inclined to offer money post acceptance.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

rdyotz

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2017
Messages
932
Reaction score
1,214
Im still holding two offers. I PTE’d to one school last week, but never actually withdrew from the other. If that makes sense

Schools can (and have) rescinded acceptances due to not following protocols. Even the one you PTE'd to could rescind. You are playing a risky game with little upside (a few thousand dollars) and a large downside (both acceptances rescinded). Feel free to ignore me if both your schools do not follow the AMCAS rules. Also, some schools are contacting applicants telling them to PTE now and drop other acceptances before rescinding.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cheeezcake

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2018
Messages
298
Reaction score
394
Makes sense. Does the school you PTE'd at have a policy that you must withdraw from other offers by 4/30. If so, I don't see how you can request matching aid. If it was new offer from a waitlist position it would be different. If they do allow you to hold multiple offers post PTE, I'd think you would need to mention the other offer and funding, otherwise I'm not sure that would be inclined to offer money post acceptance.
No they do not have that policy to my knowledge. The email they sent suggest dropping to one acceptance after April 30th, but doe not force it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cheeezcake

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2018
Messages
298
Reaction score
394
From what you all say, I think i’ll just ask them to match
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

KnightDoc

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2019
Messages
8,378
Reaction score
9,624
Schools can (and have) rescinded acceptances due to not following protocols. Even the one you PTE'd to could rescind. You are playing a risky game with little upside (a few thousand dollars) and a large downside (both acceptances rescinded). Feel free to ignore me if both your schools do not follow the AMCAS rules. Also, some schools are contacting applicants telling them to PTE now and drop other acceptances before rescinding.
Yeah, but the second school knows about the PTE school, so they won't rescind.

OP's risk is that he could lose the PTE A. If he strongly prefers that school over the new school, he should do nothing. Otherwise, he should ask the PTE school for more money (just say he just received a generous scholarship offer, and that money is important, and that he prefers PTE school, and is hoping they can do something for him), while being prepared to lose that A and end up at the second school.

No need to get into whether or why he is holding the second offer. I wouldn't lie about coming off a WL if it wasn't true, but I also wouldn't go into details unless asked, in which case I'd be honest about the circumstances that caused the second school to hold the offer past 4/30 (probably waiting for the scholarship). JMHO.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users

KnightDoc

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2019
Messages
8,378
Reaction score
9,624
No they do not have that policy to my knowledge. The email they sent suggest dropping to one acceptance after April 30th, but doe not force it.
No, PTE one school by 4/30 means dropping other As while keeping WLs. The catch is that there is no way for the PTE school to enforce -- that is left in the hands of the other A schools, but it's more than a suggestion to only hold one A after 4/30 (with exceptions for when you come off a WL, or are waiting for FA, etc.).
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cheeezcake

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2018
Messages
298
Reaction score
394
Yeah, but the second school knows about the PTE school, so they won't rescind.

OP's risk is that he could lose the PTE A. If he strongly prefers that school over the new school, he should do nothing. Otherwise, he should ask the PTE school for more money (just say he just received a generous scholarship offer, and that money is important, and that he prefers PTE school, and is hoping they can do something for him), while being prepared to lose that A and end up at the second school.

No need to get into whether or why he is holding the second offer. I wouldn't lie about coming off a WL if it wasn't true, but I also wouldn't go into details unless asked, in which case I'd be honest about the circumstances that caused the second school to hold the offer past 4/30 (probably waiting for the scholarship). JMHO.
Yes, they finally sent my aid packaged last night, i was accepted in late march
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

rdyotz

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2017
Messages
932
Reaction score
1,214
Yeah, but the second school knows about the PTE school, so they won't rescind.

OP's risk is that he could lose the PTE A. If he strongly prefers that school over the new school, he should do nothing. Otherwise, he should ask the PTE school for more money (just say he just received a generous scholarship offer, and that money is important, and that he prefers PTE school, and is hoping they can do something for him), while being prepared to lose that A and end up at the second school.

No need to get into whether or why he is holding the second offer. I wouldn't lie about coming off a WL if it wasn't true, but I also wouldn't go into details unless asked, in which case I'd be honest about the circumstances that caused the second school to hold the offer past 4/30 (probably waiting for the scholarship). JMHO.

They *may* know about the current PTE school. Financial aid and admissions often don't talk. Financial aid likely had no clue they were holding 2 acceptances when the sent the offer. Admissions may not know that financial aid just went out and could still revoke.

Ultimately, we know nothing. Each school is different. I have one school where they never stated they enforce the AMCAS rules. Then when May 1st rolled around, they started contacting people that did not follow the rules to find out what's going on.

What I forgot to say earlier was: Whatever you are going to do, do it soon.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

Wowilikedebt

Full Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2020
Messages
28
Reaction score
76
Hi, same thing is happening to me. PTE’d at school A on April 30th. Sent email to school B letting them know that I picked school A to PTE bc $$$. School B then on May 1st responds to email w a huge scholarship notification.

So now I’m currently holding two acceptances. I have till Thursday to decide on school B. Kinda worried about it and if it contradicts traffic rules. Should I let school A know?
 

OchemOficionado

Full Member
Staff member
Volunteer Staff
5+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2016
Messages
1,793
Reaction score
2,582
Ultimately, we know nothing. Each school is different. I have one school where they never stated they enforce the AMCAS rules. Then when May 1st rolled around, they started contacting people that did not follow the rules to find out what's going on.

The CYMS tool from AMCAS are simply suggestions, not rules. They are very clear that they are providing guidelines but what each individual school says supersedes them.

Last cycle tons of schools didn’t mention it at all until April, May or June came and realized how the new traffic rules were effecting them. Was interesting to see. I’m glad the schools are more clear this cycle for sure, but I get that last year it was all brand new.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 2 users

KnightDoc

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2019
Messages
8,378
Reaction score
9,624
They *may* know about the current PTE school. Financial aid and admissions often don't talk. Financial aid likely had no clue they were holding 2 acceptances when the sent the offer. Admissions may not know that financial aid just went out and could still revoke.

Ultimately, we know nothing. Each school is different. I have one school where they never stated they enforce the AMCAS rules. Then when May 1st rolled around, they started contacting people that did not follow the rules to find out what's going on.

What I forgot to say earlier was: Whatever you are going to do, do it soon.
It's not about fin aid and admissions talking -- the second school would know about the PTE by running the post-4/30 CYMS report.
 

OchemOficionado

Full Member
Staff member
Volunteer Staff
5+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2016
Messages
1,793
Reaction score
2,582
Hi, same thing is happening to me. PTE’d at school A on April 30th. Sent email to school B letting them know that I picked school A to PTE bc $$$. School B then on May 1st responds to email w a huge scholarship notification.

So now I’m currently holding two acceptances. I have till Thursday to decide on school B. Kinda worried about it and if it contradicts traffic rules. Should I let school A know?

What are school A’s conditions regarding PTE. Drop all other acceptances?

Also, did you tell school B to withdraw your app or did you just tell them you think you’re going with another school due to money? I‘ve never heard of a school disobeying a withdraw email. If that’s the case how could you be punished. . . Not your fault. Either way, make your decision ASAP and be very clear in your withdraw email.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

KnightDoc

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2019
Messages
8,378
Reaction score
9,624
Hi, same thing is happening to me. PTE’d at school A on April 30th. Sent email to school B letting them know that I picked school A to PTE bc $$$. School B then on May 1st responds to email w a huge scholarship notification.

So now I’m currently holding two acceptances. I have till Thursday to decide on school B. Kinda worried about it and if it contradicts traffic rules. Should I let school A know?
Not unless you want to either risk them rescinding you, or want them to match and are okay going to school B if they don't.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 user

Wowilikedebt

Full Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2020
Messages
28
Reaction score
76
What are school A’s conditions regarding PTE. Drop all other acceptances?

Also, did you tell school B to withdraw your app or did you just tell them you think you’re going with another school due to money? I‘ve never heard of a school disobeying a withdraw email. If that’s the case how could you be punished. . . Not your fault. Either way, make your decision ASAP and be very clear in your withdraw email.

Yes, I told school B that I PTE’d at a different school so I would not be able to attend school B. I told them this on April 30th. I may not have been clear enough.

Either way, I will make sure to make a decision today in order to not risk anything. Thank you for your advice
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 users

KnightDoc

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2019
Messages
8,378
Reaction score
9,624
Yes, I told school B that I PTE’d at a different school so I would not be able to attend school B. I told them this on April 30th. I may not have been clear enough.

Either way, I will make sure to make a decision today in order to not risk anything. Thank you for your advice
Wow!!! So, is the money enough to sway you? Is it more than you already had from the PTE school? Is it enough for you to risk the PTE A by asking them for more money?
 
Top