Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Scholarship or no?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by bokermmk, Mar 20, 2004.

1. bokermmk

bokermmk Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I have been just received good news that I have been offered a 20K scholarship to go to Finch. Before hearing this I planned on attending UIC, my state school. With the scholarship, Finch is about 25K cheaper over 4 years compared to UIC (assuming I dont get any UIC scholarships). I liked both schools and was wondering if anyone had any input. Also, If I get into Pitt, is the 75K extra that I would have to pay in loans worth it compared to my current options of Finch and UIC?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jlee9531

jlee9531 J,A,S
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    what field are you planning to enter? if its primary care, then i would most likely go for the cheapest option, which in this case would be finch.

however if you want to keep your options open or want to go into something a bit more competitive, then maybe the reputation of the school might make an impact...which in this case if you got into pitt...i would choose pitt over the 2 other schools. pitt is an amazing school...i wouldnt mind the loans if i were able to get into a school like pitt.

4. meanderson

meanderson Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Neither finch nor UIC have a primary care oriented match list. Very few american allopathic schools do. The difference is that pitt tends to have more matches at top programs relative to a school like uic.

Is the 75k worth it? Depends on your definition of worth. If pitt is a dream school and you feel you would be a lot happier there, then it's up to you to decide if that is worth the extra price. It very well may be. But from an objective standpoint, it's not. Pitt isn't so great that it's reputation ensures everyone a residency at a top 10 program(like a hopkins or harvard) and if you do well at uic or finch you will match into a competitive field if you want.

5. Mr. Rosewater

Mr. Rosewater Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

here's the thing, if what you want is ultimately a high paying specialty, then every penny of extra tuition is worth it to go to a top school (and although pitt is no har. hop. duke...) it's still top 20 and probably improving even, which makes it a top school. I say this b/c some specialties can pay around 35K/mo, so you're really only talking about 2 mo's earnings for a school that helped you get your dream job. i think that's a no-brainer. however, if you're comitted to primary care, then maybe go w/the cheapest option, or apply for NHSC.

6. meanderson

meanderson Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Anesthesiology is a high paying specialty which good medical students from any allopathic school have no problems matching into. Radiology, another high paying specialty, although seen as more competitive, still has a pretty high match rate. The two highest paying subspecialties of medicine, cardiology and GI, can be attained by going to a top 40 IM program. Good students from any allopathic school can match into such programs.

The connection between top 20 schools and $$ later on in future practice is almost zero. Competitive residency doesn't always equal huge $$$. For academic medicine, of course it helps to go to the higher ranked school.

The bottom line is that if someone isn't sure of their ability to match into a competitive residency somewhere(save perhaps derm and radonc) from any american allopathic school, then that person is lacking in confidence.

7. TheRussian

TheRussian Life Size Mirror
    7+ Year Member

I was nominated for that scholarship at Finch. I didn't get it, though I guess it is possible that I might at a later date. When I went there I decided that regardless of whether or not I get it, I wasn't going to go to Finch because I found that most of the students that I met there only went there because it was their only option and they didn't seem happy to be there. Just my opinion.
    My outlook on this whole money thing is that as a doctor you're gonna live comfortably and regardless of what specialty you choose you will have no problems paying of your loans. So you should go where you'll be the happiest. And for me, that's not Finch.

8. rebeclette

rebeclette Member
    7+ Year Member

My mom said this to me, and I think she said it very well, "The money is temporary, the education is forever" But I would say that all of those schools are good, and would help you to become a good doctor.
    I say go where you will be happiest, 25K is a lot of money, but when you look at the big picture it probably isn't that much. But everyone has their own opinion about this subect.