Scholarship Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rdasgupta1994

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be entering medical school in the fall and like anyone else I'm trying to avoid accruing as much debt as possible. As such, I was wondering what scholarship programs are available. I'm aware of the Army/Navy/Air Force HPSP programs and the National Health Service Corp Program, but are there any other ones. Ideally, I would like a program that doesn't limit the residencies/ fellowships I can pursue and a monthly stipend would be nice. If anyone could reference me to some other programs or a discussion thread, that would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you've pretty much covered most of it. Some schools will give their own scholarships based on your family's income, or low interest loans. They are not full ride and you certainly will not be getting a stipend.

Unforunately it isn't like undergrad where you get a scholarship for being tall! (legitimately had a friend who got a scholarship from the area "tall people club")

Reactions: 1 user
Ideally, I would like a program that doesn't limit the residencies/ fellowships I can pursue and a monthly stipend would be nice.

Yeah, go ahead and let us know when you find that please.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm aware of the Army/Navy/Air Force HPSP programs .

So you are aware of the MDSSP program through the national guard? They give a stipend of about $2100 per month. there's no limitation on what residency you want to do, but there is a 2:1 repayment of years in guard to years taking the stipend. It does not pay off your loans. You can get loan pay off and stipend during residency at the same time through the guard, though. That's the HPSLRP rather than the HPSP.