Scholarship Vs. Ranking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GGale

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The options: A full scholarship to a solid state school (mid 30's in the USN rankings)in a large town or pay full tuition/cost of living for Columbia U.

(Assume that you're fairly certain that you want to go into a really competitive residency.)

Which would you choose and why? I'd really like to hear why people would choose the way they would.

Members don't see this ad.

Well GGEll,
I have no experience with these issues, but it seems to me that it kinda depends on what you want to specialize in. Anyways, if rankings mean anything, and you want to be really competitive, i'd go with columbia. It ranks 4th by residency directors. I don't how important ranks are, but that's my two cents.

GGale,

If these were the only two factors I was considering (not taking into account my family, location, atmosphere of the school, ect), I would go with Columbia. First and foremost, I would always wonder if I had made myself less competitive by going to a lesser "residency" ranked program. (I don't have that answer). Next, for me, the money issue has always taken a back seat. I figure, I'll be able to pay it back someday, but I need to be happy and comfortable with where I am going.

(I don't wish to hear about how long it is going to take to pay back loans, ect - these are my thoughts and I am comfortable with them!)

GGale, wherever you choose to go, make sure you're going to be happy and not have any regrets...