Scholarships/aid and parental information

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hector219

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm 28 and my parents are in the top 10% of income earners. I plan to pay for my education by myself, but it is my understanding that most scholarships require parental information on FAFSA. Can anyone give me details about this process?

Members don't see this ad.

When I applied for transfer to the Ivies, I experienced the same thing. I had already been independent for eight years, and my mother had (very recently) built up her business and started earning enough that I didn't qualify for the new financial aid packages that the Ivies offer. I even received a rather snotty email from Harvard after my acceptance that basically told me that I should blame my parents for being "unwilling to help" me continue my education, regardless of my age. It didn't matter that to this day, she has not paid for my undergraduate education, my books, my rent, or well...anything. I don't expect it from her (especially now that her situation has changed dramatically), but I don't think it's fair that medical schools to use parents' financial information when it is clear that a student has been entirely self-sufficient, and will remain so throughout medical school. I'm an adult, and it's unfair for anyone to assume that my parents are responsible for me long after I turned 18 and moved out on my own.

I'm applying next cycle, and when I apply I will have been on my own for twelve years. Everyone applauds my decision, but I am financing medical school, like undergrad and life in general, with no help from outside sources. It makes no sense to me that they require financial information from parents of independent students.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I applied for transfer to the Ivies, I experienced the same thing. I had already been independent for eight years, and my mother had (very recently) built up her business and started earning enough that I didn't qualify for the new financial aid packages that the Ivies offer. I even received a rather snotty email from Harvard after my acceptance that basically told me that I should blame my parents for being "unwilling to help" me continue my education, regardless of my age. It didn't matter that to this day, she has not paid for my undergraduate education, my books, my rent, or well...anything. I don't expect it from her (especially now that her situation has changed dramatically), but I don't think it's fair that medical schools to use parents' financial information when it is clear that a student has been entirely self-sufficient, and will remain so throughout medical school. I'm an adult, and it's unfair for anyone to assume that my parents are responsible for me long after I turned 18 and moved out on my own.

I'm applying next cycle, and when I apply I will have been on my own for twelve years. Everyone applauds my decision, but I am financing medical school, like undergrad and life in general, with no help from outside sources. It makes no sense to me that they require financial information from parents of independent students.

I'm 28 and my parents are in the top 10% of income earners. I plan to pay for my education by myself, but it is my understanding that most scholarships require parental information on FAFSA. Can anyone give me details about this process?

By FAFSA you are likely going to be an independent student but your school may require your parent's income information if you want to be considered for need-based scholarships. I had been independent for almost 20 years but I put my parent's info on my school's financial aid application. Turns out I ended up with a full-ride merit scholarship anyway so it didn't matter what info was on the FAFSA/school financial aid application.