Scholarships and Financial Aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iA-MD2013

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that some of us have acceptances, we have to start thinking about financial aid, so...What schools have a large amount of scholarships to distribute to their students? Which schools have merit-based aid? And which schools give absolutely nothing?

Members don't see this ad.

hey, not sure about other schools, but just got offered a 10,000 per year scholarship at tulane.

Did the scholarship come with your acceptance letter (as some schools have it) or did you have to apply for it separately?

BCM awards merit-based scholarships, need-based scholarships, loans, you name it. But the average debt of graduating students is still high compared to how much tuition is...

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I remember from interview day, Michigan has alot of money to throw around for interviews and alot of people get merit aid in full and partial scholarships. But they dont give em out till like march 25 or something

Heavily funded schools likely have a lot of merit-based aid. Think Duke, WashU, Johns Hopkins, etc.

yep it came in with the snail mail acceptance letter

Now that some of us have acceptances, we have to start thinking about financial aid, so...What schools have a large amount of scholarships to distribute to their students? Which schools have merit-based aid? And which schools give absolutely nothing?

I asked my schools directly. One of my acceptances does give financial aid regularly, the other very rarely gives financial aid. They were very upfront about the whole matter.

Good luck :)

Are state schools really more likely to offer scholarships to residents?

Some are, some aren't. You should ask the school directly how merit aid works. I've gotten very detailed and specific answers.

Only know a few schools, but: Hopkins has zero merit-based aid. I'm fairly certain that Harvard doesn't either. WashU has about a dozen or so full-tuition merit scholarships. UPenn has 12 full-tuition and approximately 12 half-tuition. Yale has seven full-tuition merit. UChicago has $8 million merit-based scholarships for approximately 80 MD spots for four years and another 3 million of need-based aid. UMich has either 2-3 million for its students. And from I can tell so far, Columbia and Stanford don't seem to give merit-based aid. All of these schools notify you of aid in March unless you're an outstanding candidate, in which case they'll let you know with your acceptance.

Edit: Dartmouth also offers a few scholarships.

From when I went through this process (circa 2005):

1. Emory - has a badass thing called "Woodruff Fellowship"; full ride for four years, NOT based on need. Something like 20 accepted applicants are selected, then flown back to Atlanta for 7 winners of the fellowship to be selected. Muy nice!

2. UMDNJ/NJMS - has a "Humanism Scholarship" - 25K x 4 yrs, and tuition was 19K at that point, so 6K left over to pay for that Kevlar vest or sidearm that you might find useful 'round Newark. Memory is hazy, but me thinks it was merit based.

3. Thomas Jefferson - don't remember parameters, but gave at least half scholarships (took like 24K off of 48K).

4. SUNY Stony Brook* - nominates minority students for a program open to all minority graduate students under the Stony Brook umbrella - get this: full ride + 10K "stipend" per year. You need the extra cheese to pay the obscene cost of living on Wrong Island.

5. SUNY Upstate - dementia rears its' head again; whatever it was gave 10K scholarship per year.

*URMs will have a better shot, IMHO, at the free money.

PLEASE *ask* about the money on your interviews!

dc

Only know a few schools, but: Hopkins has zero merit-based aid. I'm fairly certain that Harvard doesn't either. WashU has about a dozen or so full-tuition merit scholarships. UPenn has 12 full-tuition and approximately 12 half-tuition. Yale has seven full-tuition merit. UChicago has $8 million merit-based scholarships for approximately 80 MD spots for four years and another 3 million of need-based aid. UMich has either 2-3 million for its students. And from I can tell so far, Columbia and Stanford don't seem to give merit-based aid. All of these schools notify you of aid in March unless you're an outstanding candidate, in which case they'll let you know with your acceptance.

Edit: Dartmouth also offers a few scholarships.

From when I went through this process (circa 2005):

1. Emory - has a badass thing called "Woodruff Fellowship"; full ride for four years, NOT based on need. Something like 20 accepted applicants are selected, then flown back to Atlanta for 7 winners of the fellowship to be selected. Muy nice!

2. UMDNJ/NJMS - has a "Humanism Scholarship" - 25K x 4 yrs, and tuition was 19K at that point, so 6K left over to pay for that Kevlar vest or sidearm that you might find useful 'round Newark. Memory is hazy, but me thinks it was merit based.

3. Thomas Jefferson - don't remember parameters, but gave at least half scholarships (took like 24K off of 48K).

4. SUNY Stony Brook* - nominates minority students for a program open to all minority graduate students under the Stony Brook umbrella - get this: full ride + 10K "stipend" per year. You need the extra cheese to pay the obscene cost of living on Wrong Island.

5. SUNY Upstate - dementia rears its' head again; whatever it was gave 10K scholarship per year.

*URMs will have a better shot, IMHO, at the free money.

PLEASE *ask* about the money on your interviews!

dc
Wonderful posts...thank you!

I asked my schools directly. One of my acceptances does give financial aid regularly, the other very rarely gives financial aid. They were very upfront about the whole matter.

Good luck :)
Ohh yeah, I'm trying to ask...but this is all pre-interview, and they're not too helpful.

Mayo gives almost everyone scholarships.

The Cleveland Clinic part of Case Western gives everyone in the class a full-tuition scholarship.

Pittsburgh has some scholarship money

I don't think Northwestern is good with merit-based aid from what I remember.