Scholarships are possible!!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by medicine2006, May 30, 2002.

1. medicine2006

medicine2006 Happy Pisces

Attending Physician
    I've been hearing that med schools don't need to offer scholarships and that we're all dying to pay whatever it takes. Well I beleive that this is mostly true but I have been blessed to get a scholarship! That means that my FA packet won't be just all loans! I couldn't be happier. And it's $3000! Thank you Howard for being so generous.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. none

none 1K Member

Of course there are scholarships, particularly at private schools. It's just that they are extremely rare compared to undergraduate scholarships.

4. BushBaby

BushBaby Nipplelina

Attending Physician
    Congratulations Medicine2006.....that's great...$3000 less you have to worry about.

When did you fill out the fin.aid application for Howard? I filled out the FAFSA only. Does Howard send on to you once you get accepted or do they go by FAFSA?

If I get accepted I know my fin.aid will take forever.

5. Patiently Waiting

Patiently Waiting Senior Member

ARe you referring to a grant? Anyone knows anything about scholarships offered at public med schools?

6. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Guitarman for President

The financial aid office at UIC told me they have scholarships for people that apply for financial aid before the priority deadline which was like March 15. To my knowledge they are non-competitive and non-need-based, but I don't know if everyone gets one. They go up to $2,000 per year. That's all I know because I ended up taking a different offer.

7. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen
    Gold Donor

Attending Physician
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Patiently Waiting:
    <strong>ARe you referring to a grant? Anyone knows anything about scholarships offered at public med schools?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">U of MN gives everyone at least 1500 in grant/scholarships

8. thm

thm Junior Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Patiently Waiting:
    <strong>ARe you referring to a grant? Anyone knows anything about scholarships offered at public med schools?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I know the UC's offer Regent's Scholarships to a few incoming students, which cover part of fees/tuition. The individual UC med schools also probably have a few other scholarships donated by private citizens, though undoubtedly fewer than private schools.