Scholarships during dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

niv3k

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
On my schools website they have a long list of different scholarships that are available for a number of different reasons from financial need, leadership, grades, etc. I'm guessing this is the same for many other dental schools. What is the likelihood of one getting a scholarship (even if it does not provide much)? Has anyone here gotten a scholarship or does anyone know of a friend that has gotten one (or more than one) in dental school?

Also, I don't mean military scholarships. I got the chancellor's scholarship that provides some money as long as my grades are okay (doesn't provide much but whatever helps). I wanted to see if I could get more financial assistance since the school I'll be attending will be upwards of 400k for OOS tuition.

I've also seen a number of different scholarships that are provided by big companies like Tylenol, Colgate, etc etc. Wondering if anyone here has gotten one of those too. They don't provide a whole lot (~2-3k a year or something like that) but that would still help.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

teethlover93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received a small scholarship (like 10% of the budget) to one private dental school, but I turned it down. Then, when I received my financial aid package to my dental school (public, OOS), I found out they awarded me a scholarship (a little more than 25% of their budget). Don't really know what exactly qualified me for either scholarship, but they were merit-based, not need.
Other than that, I tried applying far and wide for any scholarship that came across my path (mostly fastweb), and the only thing I won was a discount on Crack The DAT... After I took the DAT.

Reactions: 3 users

niv3k

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Haha yea, I don't know if I should really bother with fastweb. I did that when I first started undergrad, didn't get a single thing. Wow 25% though, that's really nice. What were your stats for them to give you a scholarship? Thanks for your response btw.

If anyone else has some info/insight that'd be great! I'm sure there are others out there who would love to get a scholarship while in dental school.

Members don't see this ad :)

teethlover93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sure, my pleasure. 3.92 GPA and 24 DAT. Some ECs and hundreds of hours assisting. I was even more surprised due to the fact that I got one of the last interview invites. It's nice because it balances out the non-residential add-on and then some.

niv3k

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well **** I don't have those stats lol. Congrats man that's great, that'll help a ton. Meh I guess I'm really going to have to consider military.

teethlover93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't sell yourself short. Again, I have no idea what qualified me for the scholarship, and it's quite possible that it could have been something other than grades. I think anything over a 20 on the DAT is viewed as all the same anyway.
When I was applying and browsing SDN, I read that a few schools only gave scholarships upon matriculation.

Digitalangel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
"I have no idea what qualified me for the scholarship"

I'll tell you if you dont know
its the 3.92/24 dat

its always the almost 4.0-ers who seem to have no idea how they received every acceptance and scholarship lol....either they are extremely humble or really arent that bright:whistle:

Reactions: 1 user

niv3k

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lol I'll take it as they're just being humble and not trying to rub it in. Yea I'll check out what I can get once I get in. Thanks for the response, congrats again teef luvaa.