Curiosity32

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2004
Baton Rouge, LA
Status (Visible)
:confused:
Does anyone out there in SDN land know of any scholarships for URM medical students. I've been accepted to 3 schools so far, but I haven't made a decision on which school to go to yet. I want to limit the amount of debt I'll have at the end, but if I find scholarships out there, then money won't be a factor in my decision. Please help me out!!!!!

tugbug

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2003
Status (Visible)
I am not aware of any. Surely they don't reserve scholarships or acceptances for someone based on skin color... that just wouldnt be fair.

About the Ads

skypilot

2K Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2002
Beantown
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Has scholarships that give preference to people of Greek descent, Jewish background, long time Boston residents and yes minority students who make a committment to serve in their communities.

The money is out there but even if you just take low interest loans med school is a great investment.

JohnHolmes

Large Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2003
Status (Visible)
duke has 7 full rides reserved for URMs and 8 reserved for others in the class. If you got into this school, you have a great shot!

CCW

skypilot

2K Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2002
Beantown
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I took another look at the BU catalog. They also have scholarships with preference for persons who are of Armenian descent, Italian descent, persons from Rhode Island, as well as women, persons who commit to family practice, and persons who commit to practice geriatric medicine.

;)

Supadupafly

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2003
Status (Visible)
Most schools have a very limitted number of scholarships (maybe 1-3 or so), which are awarded to people from disadvataged backgrounds. for some that will mean URM, for others it will mean po' folks in general.

voltron77

4th year Medical Student
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2003
Status (Visible)
There are scholarships out there......try doing an internet search....that is how I found the scholarships I am applying for.

efex101

attending
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2002
MN
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Schools will notify you if you are getting one or should apply to one (school specific).

pathdr2b

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2002
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by Ryo-Ohki
;)

I'll be sure to ask my African American, Harvard Med trained dermatologist if she recieved a URM scholarship at my next appointment:rolleyes:

FYI, I did hear that Harvard has a lot of money for URM's.;)

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.