Scholarships, grants and fafsa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kurite

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am very happy to have the fortune to have a few options of where I am attending next year, all DO but I figured I would ask the MD side too. One of the schools, CCOM, I really like but it costs sixty thousand a year. That number freaks me out and I was wondering if there is anyway to reduce that? I can't find many scholarships or grants but I could be looking in the wrong places but does anyone have any good leads? Also my girlfriend told me that fafsa gives her tens of thousands of dollars a year for college, its not a loan, they actually give her the money. Does anyone know how that works and if it may apply to me for medical school?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about 'tens of thousands.' I believe the federal contribution for a Pell grant is maxed at $5500 or so per academic year. She might receive additional grant money in the form of University grants. You're only going to qualify for these if you demonstrate financial need, as evidenced by your FAFSA. Furthermore, your schools may not have much in the form of need based assistance, or even merit based.

That being said, you could look for outside scholarships using websites like Fastweb or the like. Another option is to directly contact the school and ask them for recommendations and information about their financial aid process.

I don't know about 'tens of thousands.' I believe the federal contribution for a Pell grant is maxed at $5500 or so per academic year. She might receive additional grant money in the form of University grants. You're only going to qualify for these if you demonstrate financial need, as evidenced by your FAFSA. Furthermore, your schools may not have much in the form of need based assistance, or even merit based.

That being said, you could look for outside scholarships using websites like Fastweb or the like. Another option is to directly contact the school and ask them for recommendations and information about their financial aid process.
Nvm