Scholarships in Dental School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

russ7272

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was wondering what kind of scholarships dental schools will give out, if at all. Are they primarily merit based? What kind of $ range? I'm sure there is a difference between each dental school but I was looking for a general consensus. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I was wondering what kind of scholarships dental schools will give out, if at all. Are they primarily merit based? What kind of $ range? I'm sure there is a difference between each dental school but I was looking for a general consensus. Thanks!
There are a few threads in SDN if you search for merit scholarships, although some are old. The best way to look for this info is directly on the websites of the schools you’re interested in. In the Financial Aid/Tuition section they’ll list what kinds and amounts of aid they offer, and during the interview they will definitely mention what kinds and amounts of need based/merit based funds they give. The ADEA dental school explorer also gives a good sneak peak at what kinds and amounts of aid schools offer- there is a free PDF of the 2013 (? unsure of the year) version online somewhere and I used that to narrow down which schools I could potentially get scholarship money from, and how much I could potentially get from that school.

Reactions: 1 user

your goal is to get one or more acceptances
scholarships are gravy...

Members don't see this ad :)
I get something like 1200 a year from the school on top of my HPSP so that’s just free money

I have heard that there are many schools that offer scholarships based on merit but most of those are given by private schools which are already really expensive. The scholarships that will be given will not be too much, most likely a couple of thousand, so they probably will not even put a dent into your total debt.

You can get a $1K Health Professional Grant per year if your family's income is low. No need to apply for it, but need to indicate your family's income in the FAFSA.

You can get a $1K Health Professional Grant per year if your family's income is low. No need to apply for it, but need to indicate your family's income in the FAFSA.
Could you provide more information on this? Or a link? I already filled out my FAFSA

If you’re considered a URM, some scholarship committees are more likely to extend massive offers of free aid. I know of two accepted URM applicants this year who have even received full-ride scholarships to upper echelon programs. They almost certainly have to fulfill some stipulations in order to retain those scholarships, but I’m sure those requirements (whatever they may be) are nothing unmanageable or beyond their capabilities.

Could you provide more information on this? Or a link? I already filled out my FAFSA
When you fill out your FAFSA, make sure to provide your parent(s) income. If it is low, you likely to get that health professional grant ($1k) and loan (subsidized loan during school and 5% interest after graduation). Some people don't indicate their parent's income on FAFSA because it's high or other reasons. So, no link, just fill out the parent information section on FAFSA to be qualified.

Reactions: 1 user