1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Scholarships...only awarded with acceptances?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Jessi4eve, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Jessi4eve

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    First of all, my congrats to everyone who has received a scholarship with his/her acceptance letter. My question is whether scholarships are only awarded before dental school starts, or schools still offer scholarships to dental students in the second, third or last year based on their performance in dental school?

2. robg

robg Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    You get it right after you pay the deposit, but I'm sure every school is different.

3. Ranelar

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Tufts offers scholarships with admissions letters for the first year. Every year after that they award the top 20, so you can get the scholarship in any other year if you didn't get it your first year. You can also lose it...

4. somethinpositiv

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    :xf:

5. Istr8nthem

5+ Year Member

Dentist
    Buffalo give merit based scholarships to its students after first year. I don't know exactly what they are now, but when I was a student the top 5 students got $1000/semester and students #5-10 got $500/semester. I think there were smaller amounts given up to #25 in the class. I know it doesn't sound like much, but when the tuition is (was) $12,000, $2000 a year is a nice little present (especially when you aren't expecting it or didn't know the school gave out scholarships!). There were also several need based and merit based scholarships that you could apply for that were given by foundations or alumni of the dental school that ranged from $500-$2000 year, but like I said, you had to write an essay and apply to win them.... I know some other schools do things similar to the way they did them at Buffalo when I was there...hope this helps everyone...

6. Jessi4eve

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thanks. Anyone else?