Scholarships to Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DNAroolez

Alpha Helix
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I just had a general interest question. I recently recieved a (very generous) scholarship from one of my top choice schools. I dont know how common this is, but one of my dad's cardiologists (who also happened to graduate from this school) said it was pretty rare. What's the deal with scholarships in med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Did you have to specifically apply for it?

No I didn't apply, it was awarded to me. It wasn't need based or anything. I was very very very thankful to the school for this!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think they're really common, no, but I have no info to back that up. It really depends on the school too...what school is it? If they are private they more than likely have more money (endowments, etc) to give out. Mayo gives merit based scholarships to everyone they accept (covers half of their tuition) and then another 10 people or so get full tuition scholarships. They're the only ones I've heard of that does this though.

State schools can give breaks for non-residents (I got a all my out-of-state tuition covered) and maybe have a little money to play with for incentives (I was offered $5k merit-based scholarship too).

I think most schools have free rides (plus stipend) for those that get accepted to MD/PhD programs. As far as straight MD programs though, I think it's pretty rare...so good job, be happy!

it depends, some schools have a lot of funding for scholarships and others don't. for example, vanderbilt has a lot and awards a number of full-tuition scholarships to attract students that they are really interested in. a place like temple, on the other hand, doesnt have that kind of money so all their financial aid is basically loans. i use these two schools as examples since i have been to both, but it seems like a general trend in med school fin aid

The financial aid websites for most schools I've looked at say whether or not they give out merit-based scholarships, and some even say how many they give. Penn, WashU, UChicago, Mayo, and Case Western all give out some scholarship info, I know, though I'm sure there are others (as mentioned above).

I think it depends on the school. Iowa offers scholarships to roughly 60% of the class, in varying amounts. Creighton offers a bunch too ranging from $3k to full-tuition.

congratulations!

Yeah this was my state school actually. robert wood johnson (UMDNJ) thanks! :)

some schools that give scholarships have varying funds available year to year and may be able to offer more money at times, for example last year pitt was able to give better need scholsarships than in the past and tulane offered very little to none for need because of budget issues. some schools have more stable resources than others - uva said they would basically guarantee their generous aid last year. but others would not. the merit scholarship i got from tulane for dual mph was less than years before. thiis can be a very fluid thing. ask a lot of questions about whether the money is assured for the future.

i know that DMU (even though it is DO) if you have a GPA over 3.5 or so they automatically apply you for a scholoarship. could be like that elsewhere.