Scholarships under Honors/Awards/Recognitions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dylann FMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering whether other people were listing scholarships in the honors/awards/recognitions section of the AMCAS application. I was told that you should list them, but was unsure about it. How many should you list? I have received like 9 or 10 different ones, so I am not going to list all of them, since that is going to be like half of the experiences section. Should you only list medically related ones, distinguished ones, and/or ones demonstrating a particular trait/hobby within/outside the medical field?

Members don't see this ad.

I can't give you any specific advice, since I don't know what your application already contains. Either way, you should include at least some of your scholarships.

If I were you I would list the most presitigious scholarships (especially helpful if they are ones that the admissions committee might have heard of. If not, include a short description of what the scholarship is.). You should also list any scholarships that you feel help to distinguish you as an applicant, or were particularly important to you. These can be either medical or non-medical, depending on how you want to portray your application.

The ones with any name-recognition first, and then most competitive ones.

Members don't see this ad :)
One thing you could do is list the most presigious, ect. scholarships individually like Stephen suggested and then list all others in a "catch-all" category where you give a list of the others in the "breif discriptions" section. That way, you list everything and the medical school will see them all with emphasis on the ones with most name recognition, but you don't take up tons of room on the Post-Secondary Experience section with the scholarship info. Anyway, it is just a suggestion.

a related question:

What are we expected to put for our "brief description" of scholarships etc.?

Thanks

Originally posted by turtle21:
•a related question:

What are we expected to put for our "brief description" of scholarships etc.?

Thanks•

What I did for the brief description was explain the criteria for the scholarship, and briefly describe where it came from or its significance. These descriptions were generally very short, since basically most are self explanatory. I would be interested to see what other people put, though.