*Scholl Class of 2011*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone gotten any info on exact start dates? I know it is the first part of August, but I can't seem to find anything on the website with dates for orientation or classes.

First official day of classes is Monday, August 13th. Orientation is 3 days, from August 8th-10th (Wed-Fri). I dont quite remember how I got those dates but they are accurate. (I think it was Mandy that told me those dates on the phone when I got news of acceptance).

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone gotten any info on exact start dates? I know it is the first part of August, but I can't seem to find anything on the website with dates for orientation or classes.

Hi I think orientation is Aug 8th and classes start on the 13th. I will go back and check my email that Mandy sent but I believe this is what I heard. :luck:

So rumor has it that we are to receive a packet from Scholl during June with an online password, etc...
I'm currently out of town and may be for the better part of another week. Has anyone received the packet in question??
((As you can tell I'm excited as a Chihuahua on epinephrine...not a bad thing if it didn't come with the nasty habit of piddling on the carpet...ahem))

Members don't see this ad :)
So rumor has it that we are to receive a packet from Scholl during June with an online password, etc...
I'm currently out of town and may be for the better part of another week. Has anyone received the packet in question??
((As you can tell I'm excited as a Chihuahua on epinephrine...not a bad thing if it didn't come with the nasty habit of piddling on the carpet...ahem))

the email that i had gotten earlier (around April or May) said the first week in June. So i emailed Mandy and asked what the hold up was.

She said that they are getting the orientation packets together (includes the study packet) and will be getting it out in the next few weeks.

So I don't know if that means....next week, the end of June, the beginning of July. Y'all get what I mean. So y'alls guess is as good as mine as to when we will get the packet. I just like to have my information in a timely manner so that it doesn't cause me needless stress. I absolutely hate getting things at the last minute. It feeds into my impatient nature. :rolleyes:

I just like to have my information in a timely manner so that it doesn't cause me needless stress. I absolutely hate getting things at the last minute. It feeds into my impatient nature. :rolleyes:

Im with you 110% txlioness! I could agree with you more!!! :cool:

Have any of you been in the Chicago area lately? I know some of you are Chicago natives. But last Wednesday I had a layover in Chicago O'hare airport going to New York for work and there were just a ton of these HUGE flying insects all over the place! I saw them in the air, squished on the ground, EVERYWHERE! And they were huge, almost dragon-fly sized. Im guessing there's some sort of bug infestation going on. Someone told me about these things being all over the east coast or something. Anyways, does anyone know if this is a year-round thing? Yuck!

btw, 57 days left and counting!!!...:D

Have any of you been in the Chicago area lately? I know some of you are Chicago natives. But last Wednesday I had a layover in Chicago O'hare airport going to New York for work and there were just a ton of these HUGE flying insects all over the place! I saw them in the air, squished on the ground, EVERYWHERE! And they were huge, almost dragon-fly sized. Im guessing there's some sort of bug infestation going on. Someone told me about these things being all over the east coast or something. Anyways, does anyone know if this is a year-round thing? Yuck!

btw, 57 days left and counting!!!...:D

did they have red eyes? Were they secadas? it is a form of a locust. They come every 17 years in Maryland and I guess other places as well. The gestation period is 17 years. If you let them walk on your arm they will lay eggs in your skin. When I was 8 we picked them up by their wings. Now I am terrified by them.

Did anyone else see on the news the area of chicago being ravaged by gangs?

did they have red eyes? Were they secadas? it is a form of a locust. They come every 17 years in Maryland and I guess other places as well. The gestation period is 17 years. If you let them walk on your arm they will lay eggs in your skin. When I was 8 we picked them up by their wings. Now I am terrified by them.

Wow you are so genius. You have all round knowledge. yes those creatures are cicadas. They just appeared out of nowhere since june 1st week. the news said they will be get going in a month or two. Yuk they are creepy and disgusting. And the funny thing is instead of choosing some jungle or rural suburb they landed right in middle of chicago areas.:laugh: . I have a home in chicago city and the whole place is filled with these insects and suprisingly my farmhouse in Spring grove (which is kind of rural) has not even a single sight of it. :) Very unique distribution it is. And i heard they are blind also. But oh my god they are soooooooooo creeepy. That whole scene with ground full of these insects scares the hell out of me.:(

Yeah, thats right...cicadas. For the longest time I was trying to remember the names of those things. I also heard about the 17 year gestation cycle that you mentioned krabmas. Cool_vkb, glad to know they're forecasted to be gone in a few months. Phew....:scared:

I didnt hear about the gangs though, that's too bad.

I use to love cicadas when I was little and would catch them. Not sure about the whole laying eggs in your skin....I must have been like 4-5 last time they were here. Funny how they didnt creep me out then like they do now.

Hmmm! Gangs and violence are mainly confined to south and some west parts of city. The people in suburbs wont even believe it if someone says to them that there are gangs and this & that happens there. Scholl is in Suburb and is surrounded by the Naval base and then it has its own campus securityy and the neighboring lake forest has very high standards. I think Scholl students dont need to worry about that stuff. Yeah when we will start our clinicals and go to places like Cook County and St.Joseph hospital which are kind of in grey areas. One has to be cautious like in any big city.

Members don't see this ad :)
The worst of the gangs are in the city as Cool said, but there are without doubt gangs in the suburbs. Trust me on this. Waukegan, North Chicago, and Zion all have their fair share, as does Round Lake, Mundelein, and yes, Kenosha and especially Racine in WI. The Waukegan, North Chicago, and Zion schools have what I would consider for public schools, kind of strict clothing guidelines because of this. I have lived here forever, so I am not pulling this out of my behind. I don't think it is anything for us to worry about, as Cool said, the Scholl building is only open by key card. So, unless you have children attending those schools or you are frequenting some of the shadier areas at night, no need to worry. But, there are definitely areas in those burbs that I will not go to after dusk.

And I love cicadas! I recently took my kids to see the plethora in Lake Forest. We only had a few here in Grayslake. They are most common to areas that have a significant amount of hardwood older than 50 years (There are huge fines in Lake Forest for cutting down trees). And their distribution is isolated because of how little they fly. People are crazy when they come out. All the restaurants put them on their menus or cover them in chocolate...disgusting!!! I can't imagine eating them.

Can you imagine an outdoor wedding on the Northshore this summer...how horrible!!:eek:

The worst of the gangs are in the city as Cool said, but there are without doubt gangs in the suburbs. Trust me on this. Waukegan, North Chicago, and Zion all have their fair share, as does Round Lake, Mundelein, and yes, Kenosha and especially Racine in WI. The Waukegan, North Chicago, and Zion schools have what I would consider for public schools, kind of strict clothing guidelines because of this. I have lived here forever, so I am not pulling this out of my behind. I don't think it is anything for us to worry about, as Cool said, the Scholl building is only open by key card. So, unless you have children attending those schools or you are frequenting some of the shadier areas at night, no need to worry. But, there are definitely areas in those burbs that I will not go to after dusk.

You mentioned clothing guidelines. Here in Houston, rather my school district (Pearland) they have to wear "uniforms". Meaning, only khaki pants and solid color polo shirts. No low riding pants, no tennis shoes that light up (younger kids), obscene t-shirts, etc. Man, if they had those restrictions when I was in elementary/junior high/high school, I would have died. :)

Do you know if Gurnee schools have such restrictions?

And I love cicadas! I recently took my kids to see the plethora in Lake Forest. We only had a few here in Grayslake. They are most common to areas that have a significant amount of hardwood older than 50 years (There are huge fines in Lake Forest for cutting down trees). And their distribution is isolated because of how little they fly. People are crazy when they come out. All the restaurants put them on their menus or cover them in chocolate...disgusting!!! I can't imagine eating them.

Can you imagine an outdoor wedding on the Northshore this summer...how horrible!!:eek:

I don't know if my nerves could take all those bugs :scared:. I have always called them katydids. My husband did not know what was making all of the loud noises in the trees during certain times of the year. They are creepy looking and I am terrified of bugs of any sort, especially roaches and spiders.:eek:

i know we have certain times of the year when the crickets get out of control. They are EVERYWHERE! just like the katydids. i remember one year, one of the colleges closed b/c there were so many crickets invading.

Trust me on this. Waukegan, North Chicago, and Zion all have their fair share, as does Round Lake, Mundelein, and yes, Kenosha and especially Racine in WI.

Oh yeah! i forgot those. Racice in WI is very notorious. And good old waukegan and zion are no less behind. Hmmm! but i didnt Mundelein is also bad. Thank god we didnt bought our home there:) (we were almost close to buy 3 bd room,2 bath single house there bcoz of cheap price) No wonder why roundlake and mundelein are selling houses for cheap.

You mentioned clothing guidelines. Here in Houston, rather my school district (Pearland) they have to wear "uniforms". Meaning, only khaki pants and solid color polo shirts. No low riding pants, no tennis shoes that light up (younger kids), obscene t-shirts, etc. Man, if they had those restrictions when I was in elementary/junior high/high school, I would have died. :)

Do you know if Gurnee schools have such restrictions?

I don't know of any in Gurnee; they may have some such as the tummy baring...I'm not sure, but they aren't limited as to specific color groups that can't be worn together and such...at least I haven't heard of such.

Oh yeah! i forgot those. Racice in WI is very notorious. And good old waukegan and zion are no less behind. Hmmm! but i didnt Mundelein is also bad. Thank god we didnt bought our home there:) (we were almost close to buy 3 bd room,2 bath single house there bcoz of cheap price) No wonder why roundlake and mundelein are selling houses for cheap.

Most of Mundelein is very nice (especially next to Ivanhoe), but there are some icky pockets...and that is exactly why the home prices haven't appreciated as much as some of the surrounding areas.

first off, your passwords. to login to either D2L or email,

firstname.lastname

password is first two letters of lastname, then . then last 4 of social

so if you were "John Doe" and SS # 123-45-6789

john.doe
do.6789

d2l.rosalindfranklin.edu
rosalindfranklin.edu/email.html

and secondly,
mundelein is a very very nice area. north chicago and waukegan would be the 'roughest' of the northern suburbs, but i've never heard of anything bad happening to anyone here. that doesn't mean i leave my doors unlocked, though. lake bluff and lake forest are affordable for apartments (not houses) and have amazing schools. North Chicago is one of the 'youngest' cities according to national census, with average age being 22, thanks to the navy. some parts of NC/waukegan might seem scary, but it's mostly because they are old industrial areas. very low violent crime. look it up.

first off, your passwords. to login to either D2L or email,

firstname.lastname

password is first two letters of lastname, then . then last 4 of social

so if you were "John Doe" and SS # 123-45-6789

john.doe
do.6789

d2l.rosalindfranklin.edu
rosalindfranklin.edu/email.html

and secondly,
mundelein is a very very nice area. north chicago and waukegan would be the 'roughest' of the northern suburbs, but i've never heard of anything bad happening to anyone here. that doesn't mean i leave my doors unlocked, though. lake bluff and lake forest are affordable for apartments (not houses) and have amazing schools. North Chicago is one of the 'youngest' cities according to national census, with average age being 22, thanks to the navy. some parts of NC/waukegan might seem scary, but it's mostly because they are old industrial areas. very low violent crime. look it up.

I just tried to log in....invalid username and password.

So maybe it's not working b/c we are not officially enrolled yet.

If you go to apartmentratings.com and look up a place, you will see under the ratings a "safety" link. It shows how many sex offenders are in a .25 mi radius, .5 mi, and 1 mile radius. When I was looking at a place in Waukegan, the average number of sex offenders in 1 mile radius was 14, but for the certain apartment I was looking at there were 20, which is quite above average for the area. It might help, especially for those like me being a single girl.

If you go to apartmentratings.com and look up a place, you will see under the ratings a "safety" link. It shows how many sex offenders are in a .25 mi radius, .5 mi, and 1 mile radius. When I was looking at a place in Waukegan, the average number of sex offenders in 1 mile radius was 14, but for the certain apartment I was looking at there were 20, which is quite above average for the area. It might help, especially for those like me being a single girl.

...and also if you have kids

there is a website like that here in Texas. It good to have so that you are aware of who is in your neighborhoods. They even include pictures of the offenders here. That's important snce there are elementary schools in my neighborhood.

that's why I don't let my kids ride the bus to school. I pick them up and drop them off. you can never be too careful.

I just tried to log in....invalid username and password.

So maybe it's not working b/c we are not officially enrolled yet.

D2L and school e-mail login is:
Username: firstname.lastname
Password: first 2 letters of last initial.last 5 digits of SS#
(Don't forget the dots in between!)

D2L and school e-mail login is:
Username: firstname.lastname
Password: first 2 letters of last initial.last 5 digits of SS#
(Don't forget the dots in between!)

hey iam also not able to log in.
Lets say my assumed name : Burger Pizz Sphagetti
And SS number is : 000-111-0000

So then will my user id = burger.sphagetti
and password = sp.10000

Am i doing this right or iam missing something:( because iam not able to log on.

I tried logging in as well, and nothing... Maybe its still too early.

This is what was in the email Mandy sent us a few days back:

"Registration for fall 2007: New student registration will take place during orientation activities. Email accounts, D2L access and obtaining your Student Identification Badge are all a part of orientation activities – so stay tuned for more information."

So there ya go, maybe we are a little too early for this. Im sure by orientation we will have our accounts set up. ;)

I tried logging in as well, and nothing... Maybe its still too early.

This is what was in the email Mandy sent us a few days back:

"Registration for fall 2007: New student registration will take place during orientation activities. Email accounts, D2L access and obtaining your Student Identification Badge are all a part of orientation activities – so stay tuned for more information."

So there ya go, maybe we are a little too early for this. Im sure by orientation we will have our accounts set up. ;)

Man i just cant wait for the school start. How are you people spending your time. My dad said me to forget everything and relax as much as i can because medical school is very tough and later in my 3rd year or 4th year when i will be busy till my nose, then i would repent why i did not enjoy those beautiful summer days before i started school. But iam very very nervous and impatient. i guess i will be a happy man only after i attend the first day of my classes:)

Man i just cant wait for the school start. How are you people spending your time. My dad said me to forget everything and relax as much as i can because medical school is very tough and later in my 3rd year or 4th year when i will be busy till my nose, then i would repent why i did not enjoy those beautiful summer days before i started school. But iam very very nervous and impatient. i guess i will be a happy man only after i attend the first day of my classes:)

I'm with you cool. I simply can't wait for school to start. Lets see... 52 days and counting!!!:banana: the days just cant go by fast enough. Anyways, as far as how Ive been spending the time, its just been working M-F and in my spare time I bought that Kaplan anatomy coloring book that a few pods here were raving about (and I love it btw). Also, Netflix-ing movies and just doing nothing, literally. I just recently came back from NY for work and so that chewed up alot of time thankfully. And today I purchased my airline ticket on Expedia for my move to the windy city on the 6th. Chicago, here I come!!! :D

Hooray!!! No more pre-test during orientation this year!!! :clap:

wow. i read that and quickly went to my email. thats awesome. maybe its because they gave us such a late start. i would of only had one week to look over the stuff, while packing and getting ready for the move and everything else. yay!

wow. i read that and quickly went to my email. thats awesome. maybe its because they gave us such a late start. i would of only had one week to look over the stuff, while packing and getting ready for the move and everything else. yay!

Well in that case, its awfully nice of them! ;)

Yay! Although, that doesn't mean we don't have to study and know all that stuff before classes start :p...but at least we know that 3% of our grade isn't dependent on it!

Hey Class! So for the dinner, we'll need an exact time. I can call Friday to make the reservations. So what time sounds good to everyone, 5 or 6 or 7? It doesnt matter to me.

Also, if you are not on facebook and plan on going, PM me so I know. So far on facebook alone, we have 17 yes's and about 9 maybe's (who I messaged to update yes or no). I'll add a few extra seats as well. Look back here on Friday for updates as well.

Thanks!

Did anyone here got their student IDs and car parking permits? . I will be there tomorrow oncampus to get my ID and permit. is anyone else planning to be there tomorrow?

hey guys - did everyone get the stethoscope Sphygmomanometer buying email????:confused::confused:

hey guys - did everyone get the stethoscope Sphygmomanometer buying email????:confused::confused:

Yeah, I can't believe all the things we need to buy right away. I still need to figure out when I'll be getting my financial aid check!!! :scared:

I still need to figure out when I'll be getting my financial aid check!!! :scared:

Thats a very good question:). even iam waiting for it. remember i have to buy all those good stuff i listed before:laugh:.

Thats a very good question:). even iam waiting for it. remember i have to buy all those good stuff i listed before:laugh:.

I swear, if i eat like 'bare bones' (lol @ oregon trail), i can probably pull off getting a wii second hand or something :p

i think the checks come aug. 13th. its in the letter.

Did anyone here got their student IDs and car parking permits? . I will be there tomorrow oncampus to get my ID and permit. is anyone else planning to be there tomorrow?

I'm getting up early to see if I can make the drive in the time I think it will take...so yeah, I'll be there tomorrow. I'm hoping to be there around 8am.

Hey Class! So for the dinner, we'll need an exact time. I can call Friday to make the reservations. So what time sounds good to everyone, 5 or 6 or 7? It doesnt matter to me.

Also, if you are not on facebook and plan on going, PM me so I know. So far on facebook alone, we have 17 yes's and about 9 maybe's (who I messaged to update yes or no). I'll add a few extra seats as well. Look back here on Friday for updates as well.

Thanks!

Just to let everyone know, I already made reservations on Thursday while my family and I were there for lunch today. To have this function in one of their rooms, it costs $20 to hold the room. I have not paid that money yet, as I don't want to have the reservation costs on me alone. But we are in the book for Aug 6th.

I told them that I would call them back with a set number of people and time. The number of people tentatively expected, I told them (17 to 25) based on the confirmations that I saw on facebook on Wednesday night.

Based on the number of people tentatively coming, they told me what the best deal would be. So here are the details:

Pizza and Pasta Party
Cost: $13.41 per person (Adults)....tax and gratuity included in price
$9.74 per person (children ages 5-12)....tax and gratuity included in price

Food included: Pizza (all types----pepperoni, cheese, sausage, etc)
Pasta (spaghetti and another type, I beleive mostolli...sp?)
Meatballs
Italian Sausage
Garlic bread
Salad
Beverages included: Tap beer, wine and sodas

I told them I will call with a total number and time. I gave them my name and phone number already. So I need a head count soon. I figure a time of about 6pm would be good so everyone can get there fairly early and leave fairly early since orientation is the next day. this seems like a good deal to me for the price.

I will be posting this info on facebook as well.

I didn't get that email. I just got back from vacation late lastnight, so I did while I was gone receive the email about the biochem test being cancelled, but that was it.:confused:

Hey all~

I talked with Financial Aid today and those receiving FA should be getting a check around the Aug. 13th. (can't get anything before that :(). And we also have the FA entrance interview thing on the morning of the 10th, so they'll explain "everything" there...

Also, the university bookstore has a "ICM kit", which is basically everything from the email you should have received, including the two books and the other various instruments we need to get.

They had everything in stock except the stethoscopes, which seem to be in high demand (for the good ones, they have other ones in stock that they didn't suggest, but I dunno if this is because they want us to buy more expensive ones??).

hope this helps...

Hey all~

I talked with Financial Aid today and those receiving FA should be getting a check around the Aug. 13th. (can't get anything before that :(). And we also have the FA entrance interview thing on the morning of the 10th, so they'll explain "everything" there...

Also, the university bookstore has a "ICM kit", which is basically everything from the email you should have received, including the two books and the other various instruments we need to get.

They had everything in stock except the stethoscopes, which seem to be in high demand (for the good ones, they have other ones in stock that they didn't suggest, but I dunno if this is because they want us to buy more expensive ones??).

hope this helps...

can u give me more info abt this new ICM course. is this is the same course where there will be Actors who pretend like patients and we get to treat them:).

ICM is intro to clinical medicine, and it is the course where you encounter actors, but that only occurs twice- once for the History workshop toward the beginning of the year, and then again for the head to toe physical, at the end of the year. Instruments you need for ICM are pretty basic- a sphig&steth are the only things you need to buy that do not come with your podiatry instrument pack. Since we will never have a use for it outside of ICM, we were loaned otoscopes & opthalmoscopes.

good luck with ICM- it is the worst class ever. A huge waste of time, horrible people running it, Scholl students are forgotten and not invited or informed of lectures or workshops. Very annoying.

Good day to all my new friends here. This is tony montemurro...that goofy italian daego kid. have a nice day.:)

.... duplicate post. plzz delete it!

Good day to all my new friends here. This is tony montemurro...that goofy italian daego kid. have a nice day.:)

hey! Welcome to SDN my friend! Your presence in the party made it very lively. how can we forget u.:) It was great meeting u. hope u had a great time at the party. god bless you!

Goodluck fellow first yr Podders!! Classes start for you guys this week? Must be exciting, can't wait till us AZers start!

Hey! How'd you like the first official day of orientation? Any idea what time everyone is going to Fatman's tomorrow? Should be fun.:hardy: