1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

School Averages

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by terp99, Aug 4, 2001.

1. terp99

terp99 Junior Member

Does anyone know where I can find DAT/GPA averages, How many in-state/out-of-state applied to schools online?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MDP

MDP Member

Since I just received my copy of the Admission Requirements of US and Canadian Dental Schools from the ADEA, I could share some stats with you on specific schools if you'd like. Just list the schools you'd like statistics on. Alternatively, you could order a copy from the ADEA but it's $35 and it takes 3 or so weeks to arrive.

Take care,

MDP

4. Dental Caries

Dental Caries Junior Member

Can you post the stats for UOP, NYU, Tufts, Boston, and Temple. Thanks for the help.

5. MDP

MDP Member

Dental Caries;

I'll look up the stats for the schools you listed and post them sometime Monday...I'm currently heading out the door to begin my long weekend (it's a long weekend in Canada...I'm not sure if it's one in the US however!). Till then, check out the following website for some potentially useful information:
    http://lifesci.rutgers.edu/~hpo/dstats.htm

Have an enjoyable weekend...

MDP

6. Dental Caries

Dental Caries Junior Member

Hey MDP,
    If you get a chance can you post those stats? The schools were listed above. Thanks.

7. MDP

MDP Member

Hey, I'm really sorry about letting things slide for so long but I've been so darn busy with research and vacation prep these days that my computer (hence this website) barely gets any use.

I promise, I'll post the stats I said I would later tonight as I forsee myself having some time then. I can't now as I've left my ADEA book at home. Sorry again,

MDP

8. darat_dmd

darat_dmd Junior Member

MDP,

If you have the time & it isn't too much trouble, could you also post the stats for the Medical College of Georgia & Medical Univ. Of SC? I sent off for the book last week, but no telling when it arrives. Thank you.

9. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Manboob Extraordinaire

I have the some stats from that book, buts this is from 98, so its kinda old but it will give you a general idea.

UOP: GPA 3.21 SGPA 3.12 DAT 19.2 PAT 18.8

NYU: GPA 3.29 SGPA 3.01 DAT 18.1 PAT 16.46

Tufts: GPA 3.2 SGPA 3.12 DAT 17.8 PAT 16.8

Boston: GPA 3.16 SGPA 3.1 DAT 17 PAT 17

Temple: GPA 3.18 SGPA 3.21 DAT 18.2 PAT 17.3

If you need any more info, just ask.

10. GoatBoy

Forgot about the last post, sorry.

Georgia: GPA 3.26 SGPA 3.21 DAT 17 PAT 17

South Carolina: GPA 3.18 SGPA N/A DAT 17 PAT 17

11. MDP

MDP Member

Sorry again for my delay but here's the post that I promised (I see GoatBoy beat me to it!). The stats below are for the class that entered in Fall 2000 (1yr more recent than GoatBoy's #'s)....

School: #app/AvgGPA/AvgSciGPA/AvgDAT/AvgPAT

UOP: 2025/3.21/3.10/19.9/19.5
    NYU: 2152/3.28/3.08/17.54/16.23
    Tufts: 2256/3.24/3.14/17.98/17.33
    Boston: 2178/3.21/3.27/19/19
    Temple: 2261/3.29/3.19/18.4/17.7
    Georgia: 139/3.44/3.46/17.5/17.55
    S. Carolina: 638/3.28/3.24/18/19

Hope the above gives you the information you're after Dental Caries. Again, sorry it tool a while. As far as in-state/out-of-state applicants, the schools don't report how many they got from each class. I can tell you that 50/54 of S. Carolina's accepted students were in-state residents and 56/56 of Georgia's accepted applicants were in-state residents. As far as the other schools, residency doesn't matter b/c they're private and they really look for the best applicants regardless of where they're from (ie: everyone has an equal shot b/c everyone pays so much more to go to a private dental school).

Ciao for now,
    MDP

12. GoatBoy

looks like Georgia shot up quite a bit in just one year.

13. groundhog

groundhog 1K Member

I think the general trend is that the averages for accepted students has been creeping up the past few years. I don't know if the publication of the averages provides useful information for everyone. Those who are wondering about their chances and fall within or above the averages may find comfort in the published averages. Those who are below those averages might find a different report more meaningful(such as the lowest 10% accepted averages).

14. eschou01

eschou01 Member

I think one of the reasons for averages increasing in the recent years could be the fact that there are many more resources out there for students (internet, CD-ROMs, prep. courses for the DAT, etc.) that can help them learn the material better.

With regard to averages, granted they do give you an idea of what to expect, but in the end they are just "averages" of ACCEPTED students. By definition of an average, 50% of scores are above it, and 50% are below it. One of the main problems with averages is that they can be distorted by extreme scores, whether on the high or low end, especially with a small sample size (50 - 100). For example, if a dental school lets in four students with a 4.0 and six students with a 3.25, the class average is 3.55. Unless your GPAs and DATs are WAY below a school's average, I don't think it would hurt to apply, especially if you have lots of research/dental exp, extracurricular activities, etc. Just my $0.02.

Eric

15. Lucus

Lucus Member

I can only post a few schools I know of here in Canada:

University of Toronto: 3.87/4.0
    Western University of Ontario: 3.85/4.0
    McGill University: 3.75/4.0

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. bad_hombre

bad_hombre Member

Lucus,

I thought GPA wasn't used at UWO. Actually I'm pretty sure it isn't, and that the average entering marks were 84.5% last year. So did you just convert that to GPA arbitrarilly, or did you actually find that number somewhere?

thanks

18. Lucus

Lucus Member

Well you are correct in stating last years average was 84.5% which on the OMSAS scale (which UWO uses both for medical and dental school) correlates closely to 3.85/4.0

eg. A+ = 4.0
    A = 3.9
    A- = 3.7
    B+ = 3.3
    B = 3.0
    B- = 2.7

But the procedures for admission at UWO are as follows:

60% = GPA
    25% = Interview (structured as of this year)
    15% = DAT (96 total is average, and carving
    is included)

One other point, UWO treats all Canadians equally regardless of resdiency. U of T does not as they give prefernce to Ontario students.

If you have any other question, ask......

good luck!

19. bad_hombre

bad_hombre Member

Thanks dude,

It's too bad (for me, at least) UWO doesn't use the same scale as Uof T (A=4 instead of 3.9).

I know McGill also uses A=4. BY the way, do you know if they have any quotas for OOP students?

thanks

20. aliendoc

aliendoc Junior Member

hi,
    i was wondering if anyone knows what the stats for entering university of alberta and the university of saskatechuan?
    thanks

21. eleannaDDS

eleannaDDS Member

I believe that the interview at Western has always been structured... and that it wasn't something that was just introduced for the 2001 entering class. It follows a standard format like UBC does, except that the questions are never the same between years.

Every applicant invited for an interview over that weekend in April is asked the same set of questions.