School Choices 2018 Medical School Application MCAT 510 3.88GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Student_Doc_22

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ohio Resident
MCAT: 510
sGPA: 3.87
cGPA:3.88
Research Publication in Neurology (top 2. Hospital)
Research Fellowship Winner Heme/Onc (top 2 hospital in the Nation)
STNA certified/ Patient Transport (Patient Care Experience-Current)
ER Volunteer (Patient Care Experience-115 hours)
Tons of Shadowing

Here is my list of Schools:
(Help me edit my list if you can please!!)
Should I add more? or get rid of some?

University of Cincinnati
Ohio State University
Wright State
University of Toledo
University of Kentucky
University of Louisville
Indiana University
Western Michigan
Wake Forest
East Tennessee state
Temple
Penn State
Rosalind Franklin
Rush University
Loyola University
Pittsburgh
NEOMED
Georgetown
West Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
South Carolina- Greenville
UNC

Members don't see this ad.

East Tennessee, South Carolina, UNC accept very few non residents with your MCAT and no connection to the state. You could add these schools:
Oakland Beaumont
Medical College Wisconsin
George Washington
Drexel
Jefferson
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac

I’ve heard Rush has a huge average number of volunteer/clinical hours for admitted students. Another thread quoted a rep who said the average admitted applicant had 620 volunteer hours so just keep that in mind!

Also you should try Wedgedawg’s online calculator if you want to get an idea of schools to apply to

Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve heard Rush has a huge average number of volunteer/clinical hours for admitted students. Another thread quoted a rep who said the average admitted applicant had 620 volunteer hours so just keep that in mind!

Also you should try Wedgedawg’s online calculator if you want to get an idea of schools to apply to
Ok thank you I will look at those. Are my chances good for most of these schools with my metrics?

I suggest:
Rochester (maybe)
Hofstra (maybe)
U VM
Miami
Tufts
George Washington
Georgetown
SLU
Albany
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wayne State
Wake Forest
Netter
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland-B
Seton Hall
Nova MD
CUSM IF you're from CA
ALL OH schools except Case
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.

Reactions: 1 user
You may want to throw out Kentucky and Louisville, both have become much more Kentucky focused if they weren't already heavily IS biased. Many times UK won't even give a secondary if you don't produce any state ties. Add any of the schools the others have said in their place

You may want to throw out Kentucky and Louisville, both have become much more Kentucky focused if they weren't already heavily IS biased. Many times UK won't even give a secondary if you don't produce any state ties. Add any of the schools the others have said in their place
Im from Cincinnati which is really close to the state of Kentucky. My school allows Kentucky residents Ohio status. Do you think that being close can improve my chances?

Im from Cincinnati which is really close to the state of Kentucky. My school allows Kentucky residents Ohio status. Do you think that being close can improve my chances?

Honestly if it was last cycle, maybe. But UK just (this current cycle) increased their IS matriculant goal to 90%. And if you go check out the Uk thread for this cycle, someone OOS actually called the dean's office and they have cut down strictly on what they consider to be "state ties".

Here's what the deans office told him: "You need to have had a family member graudate UK Medical school, have your parents from there, or go to high school there. Won't accept grandparents or aunts or anything that isn't a strong direct tie. They do not give secondaries to OoS without those ties."

Also I just looked at MSAR, UK changed their "Also accepts" section to say ONLY "out-of-state applicants (case-by-case)". So, no international and no Canadian either. They're really trying to push the "UK for Kentucky" mission, and thus cutting down heavily on the number of OOS they take.

As for Louisville, Their IS matriculant rate is about 85% which is actually higher than UK's was last cycle. OOS matriculant rate for Louisville is 15%. So they arent the friendliest to OOS, but probably friendlier than UK will be this cycle and going forward. I still think the money would be better spent elsewhere, but I can understand if you want to stay close to home, I do too.

Reactions: 1 user