MA/MS School comparison: CUNY Hunter, CUNY City, Columbia TC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pastaguy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

After applying to three Masters and two Doctorate programs in Psychology (Clinical for the doctorates) just to cover my bases, I was denied from both doctorate programs (Rutgers and U of Illinois Chicago) but accepted into two MA programs (CUNY City and Columbia Teachers College) while also being given the okay through email by my third MA program (CUNY Hunter) but still waiting to hear back officially from the dean.

In any case, I'm writing to know which of the three schools (Columbia Teachers College, CUNY Hunter, or CUNY City) is best for getting an MA in Psychology, where I have the intention to re-apply for a doctorate after. I have my eye set on doing a Masters thesis and being involved in laboratories or clinics while I study. In this way, I hope to make myself a more desirable doctoral applicant in the future.

Columbia seems a little too expensive to me for just a Masters. My finger is on Hunter College, but I'm curious to know how you rank all them.

Best,
Pastaguy

Members don't see this ad.

I know v. little about these programs, but I have heard positive things from students from both Hunter and City. And I completely agree Columbia is too expensive for a masters. Don't go into debt for a masters if you can help it (or ever, if you can help it :) ) You def don't want to go into a doctoral program with a bunch of loans from a master's program accruing interest before you even start. If you're having trouble deciding, look at which will give you better research experience/likelihood of publications and inquire about where recent graduates have ended up re: doctoral programs.

Thank you singasongofjoy! CUNY Hunter is looking to be the more promising choice