School Consideration - Weight of Yellow Ribbon Benefits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HVWebster

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Moderators- If more appropriate, please redirect to X vs Y threads.

This is a problem I didn't think I'd have. In receipt of multiple DO acceptances and I'm weighing which one to pursue (along with letting the remainder of the cycle play out).

My question to you all is what's the appropriate weight to place on a school's implementation of Yellow Ribbon benefits? I'm 32 and single, for reference.

One school is far from home, doesn't award Yellow Ribbon benefits, but is a big-name DO school with a solid history and match list.

The other is a newer, but not brand-new, DO school with a decent match list that's much closer to home, in an area where I've been stationed before, and between the VA and the school, they'd match the differential between the Post-9/11 GI Bill. For the 32 months of benefits utilized, I would effectively owe the school nothing. This is a serious consideration.

As of right now, I'm most interested in EM and FM, but would definitely consider other specialties if I became interested.

I'm not a single-issue voter in elections, and I don't intend to be a single-issue voter here. What do you all think is the appropriate weight to place on the financial benefits portion of this debate? It will vary from person to person, but I value your perspectives.

Thank you for any insight you all may have.

Members don't see this ad.

Based only on what you wrote, I'd take the closer one with yellow ribbon, especially with current interests in EM and FM. Match lists are relative - based on individual interest, study habits, electives, research, scores, etc. So don't use that as a factor.

I'm a veteran and a DO. Feel free to message me if you ever have questions or want to get into some specifics without listing them on the forum!

Reactions: 1 user