School Designations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Willis7

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sort of having a hard time with deciding what schools to apply to. My GPA is okay with a 3.6 and I have yet to receive my MCAT score (I am expecting around 8's across the board). I have plenty of volunteering, both clinically and non-clinically and also over 20 hours of shadowing. So far I have these schools on my application wish list.

Michigan State University
Morehouse School of Medicine
The University of Toledo College of Medicine
Tufts University School of Medicine
University of Michigan Medical School
University of Wisconsin
Wayne State University School of Medicine
George Washington University

I am a Michigan resident and will be retaking my MCAT in August if the scores are not greater than a 27. I'm open to any medical school in the U.S. Any suggestions about what schools I should add to my application list. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

honestly, if you don't get higher than straight 8's I would not apply to allopathic. unless you have something inherently wrong with them, I would restrict the application to DO and caribbean. I am not being mean, just honest.

If you get a 27, I'd apply to the allopathic schools along with a few DO schools. Any MCAT score below a 30 makes it an uphil battle (uphill, but not unachievable). Just realize that the test is set up so 24 (straight 8's) is the national average. I know for a fact that if you aren't a wisconsin resident that a 24 fails their preliminary screening

hopefully you did way better than you thought and you don't have to worry about it

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, 8's across the board would net you a rather lackluster 24. Without your actual score, it's going to be difficult for anyone to give you much of an estimate. That said, what were your practice test scores? Sure, people get in with 24, but not a huge number. Have you looked at Jefferson, Temple, UMDNJ, Loyola, etc.? Even as a Michigan resident, I think you will have a rough time getting in to UMich, since they're huge numbers people.

Have you researched osteopathic medicine at all? You may find you like their philosophy, this opening up other doors for you.

Let us know what your practice test scores were averaging, and perhaps we can be of more assistance. Good luck!

I have researched DO, but my first option is MD. I was averaging around a 26 on the AAMC practice exams. BTW, UMich is just wishful thinking I know im not going to get accepted there. Again, thanks for the help.

Well, 8's across the board would net you a rather lackluster 24. Without your actual score, it's going to be difficult for anyone to give you much of an estimate. That said, what were your practice test scores? Sure, people get in with 24, but not a huge number. Have you looked at Jefferson, Temple, UMDNJ, Loyola, etc.? Even as a Michigan resident, I think you will have a rough time getting in to UMich, since they're huge numbers people.

Have you researched osteopathic medicine at all? You may find you like their philosophy, this opening up other doors for you.

Let us know what your practice test scores were averaging, and perhaps we can be of more assistance. Good luck!

He/she doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell at Jefferson or Temple with a 24 on the MCAT. Even a 28 would make him a longshot at both.