School Estimated Cost of Attendance Is A Joke. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Opinions of School Budgets

• Unfair

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Really Unfair

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Totally Screwed

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

harty2315

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be attending UIC in the fall but I have no idea how they expect anyone to pay for school with the budget they've set out

Books and Supplies 1,380
Housing And Food Expenses 11,996
Transportation 1,600
Staford Loan Fees 170
Personal Expenses 2,400

so for the year they expect you to pay 1,000 a month for both FOOD AND RENT(including cable, internet, and utilities).

lets do some math

minus books they are going to give me $16,166 this year which is

$1,347/month
lets say by the grace of God I find an appartment for $900 a month including cable, utilities, and internet im down to $447 a month (I can barley find an apartment in chicago for a 1,000 a month without those added amenities.)

If i spend $300 a month on food which is really cutting it close im down to $147 a month or $1764 for the year to live on
Add this to the fact that i need to furnish the apartment, have to pay for plane tickets home, there are probably other school expenses that have not been listed, and they don't disperse the funds until September leaves me in a huge pickle

There's only one direct to student loan out there and my co-signer was declined

HELP!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

harty2315,

Your calculations are based on a 12-month school year. The first year COA is probably not. You're on your own during the summer months -- look for paid interships.

They probably also expect you to live with a roommate to cut back on costs. (Or was your rent estimate based on a roommate already?)

It is really hard to afford med school - even with a ton of loans! As you said, all the moving, apt deposit, furniture costs, etc are not reimbursed (some explanation that they dont cover expenses before you are enrolled) and add up quite quickly!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Why do you need cable? I know med school is expensive and people are used to certain things, but sheesh, I see people all the time complaining about being out of cash and then buying coffee and food at school every day, paying for expensive iPhone service and cable TV....just gotta cut back. For 9 months or so, that budget won't be so bad. Get a place in pilsen with at least 1 roomate and you'll be paying under $500 a month in rent. Furnish it with craigslist, ride a bike or take the pink line to school. And yea, find a good summer job. My school's paid summer research program was a joke in that we got paid at the end, and it was taken out of our financial aid for the year. I don't know if UIC does that, but read the fine print.

Why do you need cable? I know med school is expensive and people are used to certain things, but sheesh, I see people all the time complaining about being out of cash and then buying coffee and food at school every day, paying for expensive iPhone service and cable TV....just gotta cut back. For 9 months or so, that budget won't be so bad. Get a place in pilsen with at least 1 roomate and you'll be paying under $500 a month in rent. Furnish it with craigslist, ride a bike or take the pink line to school. And yea, find a good summer job. My school's paid summer research program was a joke in that we got paid at the end, and it was taken out of our financial aid for the year. I don't know if UIC does that, but read the fine print.

I have to agree with this ^.

I cut out pretty much everything that isn't necessary to live. I'm bringing my bike, using the student bus line, and only getting internet (most TV shows are online anyway).

I am a vegetarian, though, so I do save a bit on groceries simply by not purchasing meat products.

So during the summer months, does the school not allow you use any of the fin aid money if there was any leftover? There is no other option than to work for sure during summer break eh? Sorry, I've just started getting my feet w/all the fin aid process:(

So during the summer months, does the school not allow you use any of the fin aid money if there was any leftover? There is no other option than to work for sure during summer break eh? Sorry, I've just started getting my feet w/all the fin aid process:(

Your allowed to use the money for summer expenses, they just done budget extra money for it. So they will lend you what you should need to cover 9 months of living. It will be up to you to stretch it to 12 months if you choose not to find yourself a job.

I've heard some people tend bar on weekend nights or do other things like this for spare cash. Tutoring math/science is another option. Or marry well?

Yes it does seem a bit strange to prepare for a high paying career while living, literally, at the poverty level for a number of years. On the plus side, loans will be low when you finish! Remember, the 20 lb bag of rice + salt/spices = very cheap.