School Help! s:3.8 c:3.9 MCAT 505

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedNebraska1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current Nebraska resident and NOT a URM and had planned on going to UNMC here in Nebraska but after getting my MCAT back, I am not sure if I have a shot. I also wanted to apply EDP but my MCAT was a 505 (127,123,127,128). I originally had my mind made up on MD but would also like help compiling a list of MD and DO that are my best chances as money will be tight. My extracurriculars are as follows:

-GPA: c: 3.89 s:3.8
-Total of 2,700 research hours split between a genetics lab and a neuropharmacology lab (2 posters thus far in neuro lab)
-Paid clinical experience by working as a med aid in the state prison ~ 300 hours
-500 hours of Chemistry 109 TA and Organic Chemistry I TA
-Muscular Dystrophy Association Summer camp counselor of 2 years - 288 volunteer hours
-Camp Munro summer volunteer (camp for kids with disabilities)- 40 hours
-various community service hours ~ 75h hours
- MD/ 8 hours DO job shadowing ~ 60 hours
-Free Medical Clinic Volunteer ~50 hours
-My hobbies are intramural sports on campus every year as well as being super into fitness as I have been working out for 5 years.

I understand from the MSAR that UNMC is right around averaging a 510 MCAT so I do not know if it is worth my time to apply there or not. I have also thought about applying Creighton but I am afraid that the 123 in cars will cause me the issues. All the insight would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
UNMC interviews 92% of Nebraska residents applicant so definitely apply there. Other schools to consider include:
Creighton
St. Louis
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Oakland Beaumont
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
NOVA MD
Do not focus only on your MCAT score. Your high GPA will attract attention at some schools.
You are competitive for all DO schools so apply to at least 6 that appeal to you.

Thank you for the list! When viewing these schools on the MSAR should I be concerned with the section scores? I know you mentioned to not worry about the MCAT but according to places such as UNMC and Medical College Wisconsin, the lowest section score on CARS was 124.

Members don't see this ad :)
One last question. Do you think I have a decent shot at UNMC even though I am on the low end of MCAT? My brother currently attends there so I am not sure how much that helps my chances.