School list 3.16cGPA 3.35sGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

evooo8

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I need help making a school list. I will be sending my application tomorrow after my MCAT score comes in. I have a 3.16cGPA 3.35sGPA upward trend in GPA.
I have MD and DO shadowing experience and LOR
I have 300 volunteer hours with rehab department at a convalescent home.
California applicant
My practice MCATS were a 30 so I'm expecting +/- 2 points from that.

If I hit my expected MCAT score what schools should I apply to, or rather what schools should I not apply to, based off of regional bias and just too hard to get into.

Members don't see this ad.

My numbers are very similar to yours. cGPA 3.14 sGPA 3.39 (also with upward trend). I ended up with a 32 MCAT.
My application was transmitted to schools right at the end of July, and I've gotten 2 interview invites and 2 rejections so far. In the end, I'm now complete at about 10 schools. I'm a non-traditional student with some pretty specific experience, but it looks like you've got a lot of bases covered with your ECs also. Here's my list and how it's gone so far:

ACOM - II
KCOM - rejected post secondary (probably an issue of 'fit', but do feel like they have a keener eye for GPA)
ATSU-SOMA - rec'd secondary, decided not to pursue
COMP-NW (Lebanon) - rec'd secondary, decided not to pursue
DMU - rec'd secondary, under review since 8/20
LECOM-Bradenton - rejected post secondary (no idea why was rejected)
LECOM-Eerie - rec'd secondary, under review since 8/6
LMU-DCOM - complete as of 9/5
MU-COM - rec'd secondary, placed on hold for further review (hoping for good news tomorrow!)
AZCOM - rec'd secondary, under review since 8/13
CCOM - rec'd secondary, under review since 8/13
NOVA - rec'd secondary, under review since 8/12
PCOM - rec'd secondary, complete since 8/21
RVU - rec'd secondary, decided not to pursue
TouroCOM (NY) - rec'd secondary, submitted 9/5
Touro Nevada - II

Hope this helps. I feel pretty good with my list now, but if I was to add any schools, I probably would add PCOM-GA, maybe William Carey. These would not be because I was unsure of acceptance at any of the schools above, but because I actually feel like I may end up with some choice in the end. Some recommended that I add WVSOM and Campbell, but I really didn't have much of a pull for that region. If you feel like your MCAT is going to be above a 28, and you have some unique (underserved) experience, you can probably get pretty creative with your list, so long as you include a few newer schools. No slight to those schools either, I'm really excited about the possibility of ACOM, and MU-COM is not putting out numbers that appear easy to get into by any stretch.

Good luck!

My numbers are very similar to yours. cGPA 3.14 sGPA 3.39 (also with upward trend). I ended up with a 32 MCAT.
My application was transmitted to schools right at the end of July, and I've gotten 2 interview invites and 2 rejections so far. In the end, I'm now complete at about 10 schools. I'm a non-traditional student with some pretty specific experience, but it looks like you've got a lot of bases covered with your ECs also. Here's my list and how it's gone so far:

ACOM - II
KCOM - rejected post secondary (probably an issue of 'fit', but do feel like they have a keener eye for GPA)
ATSU-SOMA - rec'd secondary, decided not to pursue
COMP-NW (Lebanon) - rec'd secondary, decided not to pursue
DMU - rec'd secondary, under review since 8/20
LECOM-Bradenton - rejected post secondary (no idea why was rejected)
LECOM-Eerie - rec'd secondary, under review since 8/6
LMU-DCOM - complete as of 9/5
MU-COM - rec'd secondary, placed on hold for further review (hoping for good news tomorrow!)
AZCOM - rec'd secondary, under review since 8/13
CCOM - rec'd secondary, under review since 8/13
NOVA - rec'd secondary, under review since 8/12
PCOM - rec'd secondary, complete since 8/21
RVU - rec'd secondary, decided not to pursue
TouroCOM (NY) - rec'd secondary, submitted 9/5
Touro Nevada - II

Hope this helps. I feel pretty good with my list now, but if I was to add any schools, I probably would add PCOM-GA, maybe William Carey. These would not be because I was unsure of acceptance at any of the schools above, but because I actually feel like I may end up with some choice in the end. Some recommended that I add WVSOM and Campbell, but I really didn't have much of a pull for that region. If you feel like your MCAT is going to be above a 28, and you have some unique (underserved) experience, you can probably get pretty creative with your list, so long as you include a few newer schools. No slight to those schools either, I'm really excited about the possibility of ACOM, and MU-COM is not putting out numbers that appear easy to get into by any stretch.

Good luck!

Thanks for the great information! I'll take all of this into consideration. Good luck to you as well! Just wondering did you apply to any MD schools or only DO?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the great information! I'll take all of this into consideration. Good luck to you as well! Just wondering did you apply to any MD schools or only DO?
I'm a TX resident, so I did apply to a number of the TMDSAS schools. Without grade replacement though, I'm not very competitive (cGPA 2.89, sGPA 2.95). If I even get an interview, I'd be surprised.

I have similar cgpa and sgpa but with a 26 MCAT. I applied to 16 DO schools and my 2 state MD schools. You should not apply to Campbell or KCUMB because you don't meet their gpa requirements. If you hit 30+ on the MCAT I'd say you're golden if you apply to 10ish schools. Because of my MCAT, I decided to not apply to Touro-CA, Nova, OU-HCOM and RVUCOM because they like higher scores. But I would definitely apply even if you have a lower MCAT if you live in their state or even a state over.
Schools with regional bias that I know of: PNWU-COM, UNECOM, OSU-COM. I did apply to WVSOM because I didn't think their regional bias was TOO bad. Hope this helps!

With those numbers you should be fine for all DO schools.

So, start with:

Western (both campuses)
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
Both AZ schools
RVU
KCUMB
DMU
CCOM
and them spread outward.

I cannot recommend LUCOM.

Hey everyone! I need help making a school list. I will be sending my application tomorrow after my MCAT score comes in. I have a 3.16cGPA 3.35sGPA upward trend in GPA.
California applicant

If I hit my expected MCAT score what schools should I apply to, or rather what schools should I not apply to, based off of regional bias and just too hard to get into.

With those numbers you should be fine for all DO schools.

So, start with:

Western (both campuses)
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
Both AZ schools
RVU
KCUMB
DMU
CCOM
and them spread outward.

I cannot recommend LUCOM.
I see somewhat conflicting information on KCUMB. I got the impression that they had a pretty hard 3.25 GPA cutoff from their website, but that was before I knew that sometimes minimums are not exactly set in stone.

California applicant

I have similar stats: 3.3 cGPA, 3.15 sGPA, 29 MCAT. My non-medical ECs are extensive and unique and very community-building based. My medical ECs are typical. I completed all my secondaries within days of receiving them, and I was complete at most schools by mid July. I am also from CA.

Schools I applied to and sent secondaries to:
KCOM; received II
SOMA; received II
ACOM; received II
AZCOM; put on hold
CCOM; complete
DMU; complete
PCOM GA; complete
LECOM-E; received II
LECOM-B; rejected
LMU; complete
NOVA; received II, won't attend
PNWU: received II
PCOM; complete
RVU; rejected
Touro CA; complete
Touro NV; received II
WVSOM; received II, won't attend
Western CA; put on hold
Western OR; complete

Hopefully that gives you an idea of which schools will probably be receptive to you. However, keep in mind that many schools are mission based, and I do feel as though that worked in my favor.

So I did much worse than expected on the MCAT:( 9/9/7 25.
Any changes I should make to my school list now?

I have similar stats: 3.3 cGPA, 3.15 sGPA, 29 MCAT. My non-medical ECs are extensive and unique and very community-building based. My medical ECs are typical. I completed all my secondaries within days of receiving them, and I was complete at most schools by mid July. I am also from CA.

Schools I applied to and sent secondaries to:
KCOM; received II
SOMA; received II
ACOM; received II
AZCOM; put on hold
CCOM; complete
DMU; complete
PCOM GA; complete
LECOM-E; received II
LECOM-B; rejected
LMU; complete
NOVA; received II, won't attend
PNWU: received II
PCOM; complete
RVU; rejected
Touro CA; complete
Touro NV; received II
WVSOM; received II, won't attend
Western CA; put on hold
Western OR; complete

Hopefully that gives you an idea of which schools will probably be receptive to you. However, keep in mind that many schools are mission based, and I do feel as though that worked in my favor.

Why aren't u attending nova?

And kcumb is known for cutoffs at 3.25. Anyone know if that's a hard cutoff?

Why aren't u attending nova?

And kcumb is known for cutoffs at 3.25. Anyone know if that's a hard cutoff?

Location mostly. I figured with my other interviews (many of which are closer home), I should be okay giving up my NOVA spot. I know it's a good school, but if I were accepted into NOVA and a closer school, I would choose the West Coast school. I realize a couple of the schools I will interview at are far away as well. However, they were offered to me much sooner in the cycle, and I already scheduled them/bought tickets/etc. when the closer ones were offered. NOVA and WVSOM were offered to me this past week, so all the others were already scheduled.

Last edited:
Apply broadly. Touro nv rvu Campbell PCOM ga wcu mucom acom vcom both lmu. Maybe even lucom (careful with this school. Microbiology prof doesn't believe in evolution and some think that if you mention evolution in interview it could lead to a rejection. Christian fundamentalist school).

Location mostly. I figured with my other interviews (many of which are closer home), I should be okay giving up my NOVA spot. I know it's a good school, but if I were accepted into NOVA and a closer school, I would choose the West Coast school. I realize a couple of the schools I will interview at are far away as well. However, they were offered to me much sooner in the cycle, and I already scheduled them/bought tickets/etc. when the closer ones were offered. NOVA and WVSOM were offered to me this past week, so all the others were already scheduled.

Ehh a plane ride for 2 hours or 6 isnt that big of a difference. I say attend! But I understand your reasoning. Fl and CA do have similar weather though.

Anybody else think of any schools I should not apply to? I'm about to send my application! So far no to KCUMB, Cambell, MSUCOM, EVCOM-AL, and William Carey.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying to all but4 DO schools, should I slim the list down a bit?

If you can afford it and are willing to bust out the secondary essays, then don't limit yourself.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm applying to all but4 DO schools, should I slim the list down a bit?
Shame on AAMC for their poorly predictive practice tests. They really do need to issue more and better practice tests.

Anyway, apply to:

LMU
Touro-NV
ACOM
WVSOM
LECOM-SH
SOMA
KCOM
Touro-Middletown (NY)
PCOM Ga
VCOM-Auburn
PNWU
COMP NW
Marian
Campbell

Apply broadly. Touro nv rvu Campbell PCOM ga wcu mucom acom vcom both lmu. Maybe even lucom (careful with this school. Microbiology prof doesn't believe in evolution and some think that if you mention evolution in interview it could lead to a rejection. Christian fundamentalist school).

Ehh a plane ride for 2 hours or 6 isnt that big of a difference. I say attend! But I understand your reasoning. Fl and CA do have similar weather though.

I did schedule the interview when they sent me the link, but I pushed it out to the latest possible one. I hope to have an acceptance before then.

What do you all think - I have 3.22 overall (3.23 science and 3.21 c) 27 MCAT. Verified August 16th, sent out six secondarys so far, no II.

Getting so stressed out - what do you all think? I really want Midwestern - Chicago. But, honestly would be happy with all I applied to - did not get secondarys from Marian - I would have preferred that one also.

Need some encouragement!

What do you all think - I have 3.22 overall (3.23 science and 3.21 c) 27 MCAT. Verified August 16th, sent out six secondarys so far, no II.

Getting so stressed out - what do you all think? I really want Midwestern - Chicago. But, honestly would be happy with all I applied to - did not get secondarys from Marian - I would have preferred that one also.

Need some encouragement!
http://mdapplicants.com/profile.php...cepted,search_school:167,psr:0,orderby:,order:

Apply to WVSOM, PCOM-GA, LMU-DCOM, LUCOM ... These schools are not obsessed about stats...

Shame on AAMC for their poorly predictive practice tests. They really do need to issue more and better practice tests.

These AAMC practice tests are very deceptive... The MCAT has gotten a lot harder since most of these practice tests have been out...

These AAMC practice tests are very deceptive... The MCAT has gotten a lot harder since most of these practice tests have been out...
Yeah my lowest score on a practice was on my first practice. It was a 24. By the last tests I was always around 30 with my highest being 32. I just got unlucky and had a test with some of the more difficult stuff for me. Shame I couldn't score closer to my higher scores, but oh well. Plus I took the test without having taken organic.

I have another question for everybody, should I try to retake the test next month. I should have much more knowledge of organic chemistry at that time and hopefully with more studying, especially particle motion and organic. I'm pretty sure I can score better. But will my score make a big difference if I am taking it so late. I will be verified by the time and scores won't be in until like November. Not sure if I should retake only if I must reapply or schedule a retake already. Let me know what you think!

Yeah my lowest score on a practice was on my first practice. It was a 24. By the last tests I was always around 30 with my highest being 32. I just got unlucky and had a test with some of the more difficult stuff for me. Shame I couldn't score closer to my higher scores, but oh well. Plus I took the test without having taken organic.

I have another question for everybody, should I try to retake the test next month. I should have much more knowledge of organic chemistry at that time and hopefully with more studying, especially particle motion and organic. I'm pretty sure I can score better. But will my score make a big difference if I am taking it so late. I will be verified by the time and scores won't be in until like November. Not sure if I should retake only if I must reapply or schedule a retake already. Let me know what you think!
I don't think it will be too late for DO, but I think you should prewrite your seondaries so you can submit them as soon as you receive them.

So I decided not to retake the MCAT. Hopefully I am able to get in somewhere with my current stats. Any ideas if I have a chance at getting in somewhere here in the west? AZ, CA, NV?

So I decided not to retake the MCAT. Hopefully I am able to get in somewhere with my current stats. Any ideas if I have a chance at getting in somewhere here in the west? AZ, CA, NV?
possibly SOMA, Touro-NV, PNWU, or COMP-NW. Like Goro, I cannot recomment LUCOM.