School List: 3.7/3.8 GPA. 90-100th Percentile MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iBro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! Here is a tentative school list I have so far - please help me narrow it down!

State: Iowa
cGPA / sGPA: 3.7/3.8 (Science Major)
MCAT (2015): Estimated 90-100th percentile

ECs
Med/Surg Nurse Assistant: 5+ yrs / 5,000 + hrs (ongoing)
Research: 2+ yrs / 1,000 hrs. Poster presentation. Competitive undergraduate research fellowship awarded. (ongoing)
Tutor Human A/P: 1 semester / 50 hrs
Tutor for Transfer Students: 1 yr / 100 hrs
Bio Lab TA: 1 semester / 100 hrs
Homeless Shelter Volunteer: 1 yr / ~100 hrs (ongoing)
Physician Shadowing: 40-50 hrs
Hobbies: Cycling

Future Goals:
I just want to be a good physician. Academics may be in the mix, but I don't want a career that includes bench research.

In-state
U of Iowa

Reach
Columbia
Dartmouth
Pritzker
U of Pitt

Remaining
Creighton (family ties)
Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein
Georgetown
Medical College of Wisconsin
New York Medical College
Rush
Saint Louis University
Temple
Tufts
Tulane
University of Minnesota
University of Rochester
U of Vermont
Wakeforest
Western Michigan
Case Western
Oakland University
Jefferson

D.O.
DMU
+others (haven't created a list yet)

Please help me eliminate ~5 (M.D.) schools. I will also take suggestions on any schools I should add. I would prefer to stay around the Midwest, but I have no objections to a major relocation.

Thanks for your help!

Update: I eliminated a few schools that don't match my goals, and added a few more from the Midwest.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i don't see any bad choices on your list. dartmouth isn't necessarily a "reach" for you but it's low-yield due to its class size and preferred demographics. you can definitely keep it, though

you have at least 9 or 10 schools where you have a good shot for an interview. add another handful of schools that interest you and you should be good!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
i don't see any bad choices on your list. dartmouth isn't necessarily a "reach" for you but it's low-yield due to its class size and preferred demographics. you can definitely keep it, though

you have at least 9 or 10 schools where you have a good shot for an interview. add another handful of schools that interest you and you should be good!
Thanks!

Can you expand on your demographics comment about Dartmouth please? I'm not sure what you mean.

I'm interested in applying to about 12 MD schools so I'm not sure if I'll actually add anymore to this list.

dartmouth prefers non-traditional students -- check the MSAR, the average age of a first-year student is around 26-27 i believe. of course, that doesn't mean they don't accept younger students too

i think 15 schools is a reasonable number for you. don't make the mistake of applying to too few

dartmouth prefers non-traditional students -- check the MSAR, the average age of a first-year student is around 26-27 i believe. of course, that doesn't mean they don't accept younger students too

i think 15 schools is a reasonable number for you. don't make the mistake of applying to too few
Gotcha thanks for the heads up! I'm I'll be 24 at the time of potential matriculation, plus I've got 4 years and thousands of paid Healthcare hours. So I wouldn't call myself non trad, but I'm not the exactly a 21 the year old junior who's never had a full time job.