• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

School List: 3.7/3.8 GPA. 90-100th Percentile MCAT

iBro

5+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2012
  1. Medical Student
    Hello all! Here is a tentative school list I have so far - please help me narrow it down!

State: Iowa
    cGPA / sGPA: 3.7/3.8 (Science Major)
    MCAT (2015): Estimated 90-100th percentile

ECs
    Med/Surg Nurse Assistant: 5+ yrs / 5,000 + hrs (ongoing)
    Research: 2+ yrs / 1,000 hrs. Poster presentation. Competitive undergraduate research fellowship awarded. (ongoing)
    Tutor Human A/P: 1 semester / 50 hrs
    Tutor for Transfer Students: 1 yr / 100 hrs
    Bio Lab TA: 1 semester / 100 hrs
    Homeless Shelter Volunteer: 1 yr / ~100 hrs (ongoing)
    Physician Shadowing: 40-50 hrs
    Hobbies: Cycling

Future Goals:
    I just want to be a good physician. Academics may be in the mix, but I don't want a career that includes bench research.

In-state
    U of Iowa

Reach
    Columbia
    Dartmouth
    Pritzker
    U of Pitt

Remaining
    Creighton (family ties)
    Albany Medical College
    Albert Einstein
    Georgetown
    Medical College of Wisconsin
    New York Medical College
    Rush
    Saint Louis University
    Temple
    Tufts
    Tulane
    University of Minnesota
    University of Rochester
    U of Vermont
    Wakeforest
    Western Michigan
    Case Western
    Oakland University
    Jefferson

D.O.
    DMU
    +others (haven't created a list yet)

Please help me eliminate ~5 (M.D.) schools. I will also take suggestions on any schools I should add. I would prefer to stay around the Midwest, but I have no objections to a major relocation.

Thanks for your help!

Update: I eliminated a few schools that don't match my goals, and added a few more from the Midwest.

Last edited:

Vain Brother

5+ Year Member
    May 4, 2013
    USA
    1. Medical Student
      i don't see any bad choices on your list. dartmouth isn't necessarily a "reach" for you but it's low-yield due to its class size and preferred demographics. you can definitely keep it, though

you have at least 9 or 10 schools where you have a good shot for an interview. add another handful of schools that interest you and you should be good!

Reactions: 1 user
      About the Ads

iBro

5+ Year Member
      Dec 21, 2012
      1. Medical Student
        i don't see any bad choices on your list. dartmouth isn't necessarily a "reach" for you but it's low-yield due to its class size and preferred demographics. you can definitely keep it, though

you have at least 9 or 10 schools where you have a good shot for an interview. add another handful of schools that interest you and you should be good!
        Thanks!

Can you expand on your demographics comment about Dartmouth please? I'm not sure what you mean.

I'm interested in applying to about 12 MD schools so I'm not sure if I'll actually add anymore to this list.

Vain Brother

5+ Year Member
        May 4, 2013
        USA
        1. Medical Student
          dartmouth prefers non-traditional students -- check the MSAR, the average age of a first-year student is around 26-27 i believe. of course, that doesn't mean they don't accept younger students too

i think 15 schools is a reasonable number for you. don't make the mistake of applying to too few

iBro

5+ Year Member
          Dec 21, 2012
          1. Medical Student
            dartmouth prefers non-traditional students -- check the MSAR, the average age of a first-year student is around 26-27 i believe. of course, that doesn't mean they don't accept younger students too

i think 15 schools is a reasonable number for you. don't make the mistake of applying to too few
            Gotcha thanks for the heads up! I'm I'll be 24 at the time of potential matriculation, plus I've got 4 years and thousands of paid Healthcare hours. So I wouldn't call myself non trad, but I'm not the exactly a 21 the year old junior who's never had a full time job.

About the Ads
            This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.