School list 3.78/3.6 MCAT 505->515

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

domo3467

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've been lurking for a long time, and wanted to get some advice on my school list. I'd really appreciate it!

Stats:
3.78 cGPA
3.6 sGPA
MCAT taken twice (505-> 515; all subscores went up)

**i'm most worried about how my sGPA and two MCAT scores will be considered**

Ivy League School (non-HYP)
ORM (Asian)
Majored in anthropology (magna cum laude)
Residence: Tennessee

Extracurriculars:
  • Lots of leadership, founded 1 organization that has received several community service-related awards both from my university and outside organizations
  • also was co-chair and president of 2 other orgs (community service related)
  • 300+ shadowing
  • 2000+ hours of community service; was devoted to two orgs in college that were community service related. Spent lots of my summers doing community service. I am taking 2 gap years, so there has been lots of community service there too.
  • Clinical research gap year job (1000+ hours)
  • Long-term research experience but no pubs/posters (300 hours)
  • Senior thesis in anthropology (won two awards at my university)
  • Several jobs in the summer and school
Current school list:
  • Duke
  • Mt. Sinai
  • Case Western
  • BU
  • Dartmouth
  • URochester
  • Albert Einstein
  • Tufts
  • Brown
  • Georgetown
  • Hofstra
  • Drexel
  • Temple
  • Jefferson
  • GW
  • Georgetown
  • SLU
  • Oakland
  • Loyola
  • Rush
  • Wake Forest
  • Emory
  • Quinnipiac
  • Albany
  • my state schools
Are there any schools I should add/remove?

@Goro @Faha I would appreciate both of your inputs, if you had the time.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, I've been lurking for a long time, and wanted to get some advice on my school list. I'd really appreciate it!
  • @Goro @Faha I would appreciate both of your inputs, if you had the time.
I suggest:

Case OR Mayo OR Duke (maybe)
Hofstra OR Pitt OR Emory (maybe)
Albert Einstein (maybe)
U VM
U Toledo
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Dartmouth (maybe)
MCW
Loyola
Tufts
Oakland-B
Western MI
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Nova MD
Your state school(s).
A few DO schools, just in case.

I hate these "what school" threads. Either you know the accepted ranges or you don't, why are you asking? Do your homework and quit asking about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hate these "what school" threads. Either you know the accepted ranges or you don't, why are you asking? Do your homework and quit asking about it.

There's much more than just GPA/MCAT

Reactions: 2 users
You telling me or asking?

GPA/MCAT are part of the puzzle, having your whole app evaluated by people more knowledgeable can be helpful in making school lists

Reactions: 1 user
GPA/MCAT are part of the puzzle, having your whole app evaluated by people more knowledgeable can be helpful in making school lists

Really? You've been a member as long as I have, what do you have to add.

I'm confused by what you're asking, but I think Goro's advice/list was solid. I'm confused as to if you are disagreeing and think the app cycle is just GPA and MCAT or if you are just bored on an online forum. It is completely reasonable for someone to post this kind of thread and gets posted multiple times a day for literally years and years, I don't get why you decided to single this guy out

Reactions: 4 users
:troll::troll:

To the OP. This is a perfectly good thread and I was helped a lot with my application by posting here as well.

I'm confused by what you're asking, but I think Goro's advice/list was solid. I'm confused as to if you are disagreeing and think the app cycle is just GPA and MCAT or if you are just bored on an online forum. It is completely reasonable for someone to post this kind of thread and gets posted multiple times a day for literally years and years, I don't get why you decided to single this guy out

These get Facebooky; posts about lunch, dinner, my dog took a ****, look my dog won't ****, etc. There are three score ranges for the MCAT (poor, ok, and great), but for some reason we come up with a subjective list of schools for a 506, another for 507, and so on. At the beginning of each cycle we could simply post a list with a cutoff score. Heaven forbid, these folks may need to use the search bar. Holy hypocrites batman, you'll shout down any other common question for failing to search first, but people let these slide all the time. They're dumb posts, period.

These get Facebooky; posts about lunch, dinner, my dog took a ****, look my dog won't ****, etc. There are three score ranges for the MCAT (poor, ok, and great), but for some reason we come up with a subjective list of schools for a 506, another for 507, and so on. At the beginning of each cycle we could simply post a list with a cutoff score. Heaven forbid, these folks may need to use the search bar. Holy hypocrites batman, you'll shout down any other common question for failing to search first, but people let these slide all the time. They're dumb posts, period.

Dude, what crawled up your butt and died?? There's a lot of doctors around here and one of them might be able to help you get it out.

Dude, what crawled up your butt and died?? There's a lot of doctors around here and one of them might be able to help you get it out.

You didn't deny it's true.

WUT?

op if you have some money to burn I'd say just throw your hat into a couple reaches

it also seems you have a decent amount of those low yield schools on your original list

I think Vanderbilt is worth a try too since they superscore the MCAT meaning they take your best scores in each category.

I think Vanderbilt is worth a try too since they superscore the MCAT meaning they take your best scores in each category.

His super score would be 515 because he said all his subscores went up from the first attempt.

I have also heard many people recommend people with around 515-517 MCATs (I have similar stats and MCAT attempts to OP) to apply to vandy. Is there some reason for this? I thought they were a pretty big stat ***** school.

His super score would be 515 because he said all his subscores went up from the first attempt.

I have also heard many people recommend people with around 515-517 MCATs (I have similar stats and MCAT attempts to OP) to apply to vandy. Is there some reason for this? I thought they were a pretty big stat ***** school.
They are a big stat school...a 515 is really good. And the op has good ECs so it’s worht a try

They are a big stat school...a 515 is really good. And the op has good ECs so it’s worht a try

I just wondered because a 515 is Vanderbilts 10th percentile. I didn't know if there was something specifically that caught your eye like the ECs that Vandy was known to like.

I just wondered because a 515 is Vanderbilts 10th percentile. I didn't know if there was something specifically that caught your eye like the ECs that Vandy was known to like.
Yeah I definitely don’t think it’s throwing money away to apply to vandy here. Op will never know unless they try