School List Advice? 3.75cGPA 3.79sGPA 35M

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phonybone

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am currently in my second semester of my Junior year. I plan on applying this summer and just wanted some advice on my school list. I think it may be a little top heavy, so if you agree let me know! Also, if there are things you think I can add between now and application time that will help my app I'd love to hear about it.

Stats
MCAT: 35M 11PS/10VR/14BS
- Taken without coursework in Physics 2, Inorganic Chem 2, Biochem, Physiology, and any college biology (finished/finishing these up this semester). How will that look?

3.75cGPA 3.79sGPA
- Upward trend. Had a 3.1 first semester freshman year and a 3.9 since then.
- Majoring in Molecular Biology at a Top 30 University (according to US News)

ECs
-Div. 1 varsity athlete for all 3 years (major conference like SEC, or Pac-12, or Big 10). Many academic awards/honors from athletic department. (20 hours/week, not including travel and competitions)

~45 hours (total) shadowing interventional cardiologist, internal med hospitalist, and anesthesiologist.
~60+ hours of clinical volunteering since freshman year at children's hospital (1.5 hour a week during the school year, wasn't able to attend all due to traveling and exams)
~40 hours volunteering at local YMCA as flag football coach

- MCAT instructor at major testing company: started 4 months ago
- organized community service events for a club designed to help athletes at the university interested in the medical field.

-no research...
-average LOR (except probably from my coach)

I think thats it, here's my tentative school list:
-Harvard
-Penn
-Stanford
-Johns Hopkins
(I am fortunate enough to have someone pay for these first four applications, so I might as well apply)

-Duke
-Michigan
-University of Michigan
-University of Chicago
-Northwestern
-Virginia
-NYU
-University of Wisconsin
-Boston University
-Dartmouth
-Maryland
-Ohio State
-Wake Forest
-Cincinnati
-Georgetown
-Indiana

I am going to add some in-state safety schools, but let me know what you think. How will the higher tier schools view my lack of research? Assume OOS for all schools.

Members don't see this ad.

JMO, but I think that the fact that you've been an athlete for a big Div I conference will give you some leeway on research. I would think that the Adcoms are bright enough to realize that your free time is extremely limited because of the demands of school and sport.

Continue your shadowing and volunteering.

That said, because you don't have research, you may want to replace some of the SOMs that strongly lean towards research-heavy applicants with some mid-level private SOMs who are looking to educate more primary care physicians.

Again....JMO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which schools on my list would you say "lean towards research-heavy applicants"?

I would say keep your list now but just add a few mid-tier/safety schools. You never know!

I'd agree with your assessment that the list is extremely top heavy, which is difficult for anyone (but even moreso for you due to your lack of research). Definitely add in some other schools just in case! You don't want to be that person who had great stats, but failed to get in anywhere due to a top heavy list.