School List Advice (cGPA: 3.97, sGPA:3.96)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

runner7994

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'd really appreciate some advice on what schools to apply to! I am from Chicago, so am considering many midwest schools but am not opposed to others. Thanks!

1) cGPA: 3.97, sGPA: 3.96
2) University of Iowa undergrad, finished in 3.5 years, human physiology major, chemistry minor
3) no MCAT yet (got cancelled this month :/) practice FLs indicate should score at least 520
4) Research: 2 years in muscle metabolism/diabetes lab, ~750 hours, 1 publication, honors thesis
5) Volunteering: Burn Unit and NICU (4hrs/week ~300 hrs total), Mobile Clinic volunteer in Peru (~40 hrs)
6) Shadowing: shadowed various healthcare professionals (NPs, pharmacist, PAs, MDs) ~32hrs, shadowed MDs in India for a study abroad ~60hrs. (was supposed to shadow more this semester but is cancelled)
7) Clinical Experience: CNA in rehab/long term care facility (full-time 2 summers, ~750 hrs), Respite service assistant for kids with epilepsy, autism, muscular disorders, etc (~225 hrs). Will be Patient Care Technician at Loyola on pediatric unit for gap year.
8) Leadership: Service Learning Trip Officer for Iowa's MEDLIFE chapter, 2 yrs, (trip to Peru), Director of Community Outreach for Iowa's Pre-PA club, 2 yrs (was considering PA before)
9) Other: tutor for biochem, biology, human physiology courses (3 years)

Possibly interested in dermatology, pediatrics, family med...definitely interested in academia/being clinical-educator.

Schools I am considering:
Iowa
Rush
Northwestern
Rosalind Franklin
U Chicago
Loyola
University of Illinois at Chicago
UW-Madison
Medical College of Wisconsin
Mayo
Washington University-St Louis
Saint Louis University
NYU
University of Colorado
UNC
University of Michigan
Johns Hopkins

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Your list is ok. Iowa favors in state residents but you have the stats to be competitive (depending on your MCAT). If your MCAT ends up being >=520, you should have a good chance at those programs. Once you get your MCAT score, you should check back and modify the list accordingly.

Some other schools to consider:
Case Western
Columbia
Duke
Emory
Dartmouth
Mt. Sinai
U Penn
Stanford
Pitt
Yale

Reactions: 1 user
I’d remove UNC for extreme in-state bias. Rush and Loyola want A LOT of service. You don’t have any non-clinical volunteering? Also, most of this really depends on your MCAT score. It’s hard to make a list without it. That being said, Indiana, Ohio State, and U Cincinnati would be good midwest additions.

I’d remove UNC for extreme in-state bias. Rush and Loyola want A LOT of service. You don’t have any non-clinical volunteering? Also, most of this really depends on your MCAT score. It’s hard to make a list without it. That being said, Indiana, Ohio State, and U Cincinnati would be good midwest additions.
Through my role as Community Outreach Director for Pre-PA club I have organized and participated in things like setting up blood drives, making tie-blankets/cards for hospital patients, Ronald McDonald house volunteering. I am not sure if these are considered non-clinical? I have had mixed information on what exactly is clinical vs. nonclinical. I also have participated in cooking & delivering a meal once a month to a homeless shelter with my family for many years.

Through my role as Community Outreach Director for Pre-PA club I have organized and participated in things like setting up blood drives, making tie-blankets/cards for hospital patients, Ronald McDonald house volunteering. I am not sure if these are considered non-clinical? I have had mixed information on what exactly is clinical vs. nonclinical. I also have participated in cooking & delivering a meal once a month to a homeless shelter with my family for many years.
Perfect, sounds great! Just work on that MCAT then.

Are those the correct AMCAS GPA's? I don't think they gave bonus points for A+ grades (which would explain the GPA of 4.02).

Break down your shadowing and clinical experience, excluding all the overseas shadowing/volunteering (in India/Peru). Why is your Burn/NICU experience under volunteering instead of clinical experience? What's your non-clinical volunteering experience?

No bets until an official MCAT score is posted. Practice scores don't count.

How did you end up with an AMCAS GPA of 4.02??? I wish I went to your school!

Something is not right with your calculation.

Hi everyone, I'd really appreciate some advice on what schools to apply to! I am from Chicago, so am considering many midwest schools but am not opposed to others. Thanks!

1) cGPA: 4.02, sGPA: 3.98
2) University of Iowa undergrad, finished in 3.5 years, human physiology major, chemistry minor
3) no MCAT yet (got cancelled this month :/) practice FLs indicate should score at least 520
4) Research: 2 years in muscle metabolism/diabetes lab, ~750 hours, 1 publication, honors thesis
5) Volunteering: Burn Unit and NICU (4hrs/week ~300 hrs total), Mobile Clinic volunteer in Peru (~40 hrs)
6) Shadowing: shadowed various healthcare professionals (NPs, pharmacist, PAs, MDs) ~32hrs, shadowed MDs in India for a study abroad ~60hrs. (was supposed to shadow more this semester but is cancelled)
7) Clinical Experience: CNA in rehab/long term care facility (full-time 2 summers, ~750 hrs), Respite service assistant for kids with epilepsy, autism, muscular disorders, etc (~225 hrs). Will be Patient Care Technician at Loyola on pediatric unit for gap year.
8) Leadership: Service Learning Trip Officer for Iowa's MEDLIFE chapter, 2 yrs, (trip to Peru), Director of Community Outreach for Iowa's Pre-PA club, 2 yrs (was considering PA before)
9) Other: tutor for biochem, biology, human physiology courses (3 years)

Possibly interested in dermatology, pediatrics, family med...definitely interested in academia/being clinical-educator.

Schools I am considering:
Iowa
Rush
Northwestern
Rosalind Franklin
U Chicago
Loyola
University of Illinois at Chicago
UW-Madison
Medical College of Wisconsin
Mayo
Washington University-St Louis
Saint Louis University
NYU
University of Colorado
UNC
University of Michigan
Johns Hopkins

If your MCAT is great you are golden. Go to Univ. of Chicago or Northwestern due to your Chicago preference. Northwestern is in a great part of town. Not so U of C. If your MCAT sucks, plan B.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are those the correct AMCAS GPA's? I don't think they gave bonus points for A+ grades (which would explain the GPA of 4.02).

Break down your shadowing and clinical experience, excluding all the overseas shadowing/volunteering (in India/Peru). Why is your Burn/NICU experience under volunteering instead of clinical experience? What's your non-clinical volunteering experience?

No bets until an official MCAT score is posted. Practice scores don't count.
I did not calculate based on, just edited thanks! My time in the Burn Unit and NICU were volunteer positions, but should that be under clinical instead?

Definitely keep Iowa on your list - there are many med students there from Illinois.