MD School List Advice (URM, 3.94, 517/124 CARS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zerothirtyfive

Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I've been verified and have already submitted some secondaries, but I'm wondering if I should add some more mid/low tier schools because of my CARS score (124). Here is a brief break down:

Junior, Senior next year at a top 10 university, Mexican-American

Stats: Cumulative GPA: 3.94, Science GPA: 3.96, MCAT Score: 517 (131/124/131/131)- I learned English around 6-7 years old, Spanish is first language but don’t know if that changes anything

Research-Around 2 years in biochemistry lab, ~1500 hours

Volunteering (clinical); Free clinic-projected 450 hours, Hospital-projected 210 hours

Non-clinical: youth camp- 50 hours, Course teaching kids- 100 hours, Tutoring middle school kids- 50 hours

Extracurricular activities: Played lightweight varsity football, other intramural sports

Shadowing: projected 100 hours

Schools (already added to primary app and some have been submitted): 28 schools

Top/High:
Weill Cornell
Northwestern
Stanford
Penn
Sinai
Pritzker
Case Western
Columbia
WashU
NYU
Pitt
Harvard
Mayo MN
Mayo AZ
Hopkins

Mid/Low:
Dartmouth
Boston
Rochester
Hofstra
UA Tucson
Jefferson
Ohio State
UVA
Cincy
Loyola
UA Phx
West MI
Albert Einstein

I used the WARS calculator to form this list, but feel its too top heavy because I don't know how my CARS will affect me. Should I add more safe schools? If so, any advice for OOS friendly mid/low tiers (I'm an Arizona resident and don't plan on taking Casper). Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
In your estimation, how much will my CARS score hurt me at the top schools? I've heard varying opinions.
I'd imagine you'll get even more leeway on CARS since you just learned English 6-7 years ago.

@LizzyM I noticed on the URM application thread, you voiced some concerns about having a subsection less than 125 and aiming higher. Do you anticipate it being an issue in my case? I'm just trying to get as many opinions as possible. Thank you so much!

A higher score would be better but at this point, what are you going to do? With those other subscores, I certainly hope you are not going to retake. Given that English is not your first language, I do think that you might be cut some slack and the other 3 subscores are so dazzling, you may be forgiven for the 124 in CARS. I think that you'll be fine... maybe a bit worn out by the number of interviews you are likely to have.

A higher score would be better but at this point, what are you going to do? With those other subscores, I certainly hope you are not going to retake. Given that English is not your first language, I do think that you might be cut some slack and the other 3 subscores are so dazzling, you may be forgiven for the 124 in CARS. I think that you'll be fine... maybe a bit worn out by the number of interviews you are likely to have.
Well, I just hope for the best. Thank you for your input!