School List Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neutropos

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if I could get some advice on my school list and some schools I should add/discard. You can find the list on my mdapps profile.

The list has plenty of "top" schools, or higher tiered or whatever you call them. I figured I might as well apply to a few just to say I tried. I am genuinely interested in the schools I have selected.

So, do you guys have any suggestions? With the stats I entered on the selection spreadsheet, I made sure to select mainly those listed as "go for it" and "high chance."

Also, I do not plan on adding any Chicago schools as I would not like to be in that area (personal reasons).

Thanks to all who provide assistance!

Members don't see this ad.

Also, I've talked to so many people about UIowa regarding their mandatory 10 or above in each section for an interview policy. I called Iowa and they said that it was not true, and that I should certainly apply. Do you think they just want my money? If so, I'm taking them off my list.

I was wondering if I could get some advice on my school list and some schools I should add/discard. You can find the list on my mdapps profile.

The list has plenty of "top" schools, or higher tiered or whatever you call them. I figured I might as well apply to a few just to say I tried. I am genuinely interested in the schools I have selected.

So, do you guys have any suggestions? With the stats I entered on the selection spreadsheet, I made sure to select mainly those listed as "go for it" and "high chance."

Also, I do not plan on adding any Chicago schools as I would not like to be in that area (personal reasons).

Thanks to all who provide assistance!

Besides MCW and your state school, this list is too top-heavy. If you don't want to omit any of these, add some more safeties from the school selection sheet. Those being NYMC, Drexel, Temple, etc. Also consider adding Duluth.

Members don't see this ad :)
kinda top heavy list as stated. If you can afford it id add maybe 5 more schools outside the top 50 if possible. If you have a solid reason for wanting to go to iowa id keep it. But if you are just randomly choosing a school id replace it with something else.

Thanks guys for your replies. I chose UIowa because it is close to home and a great school. I want to add it, but if there is a barrier that is literally impossible to get around, then I don't want to waste my money.

Also, I am not considering Duluth as they are looking for rural physicians.

If I plan to remove 3-4 schools from my list, which ones would you recommend removing? I'm thinking UPenn as I don't really like PHL either.

Are there any other out of state schools others would recommend?

Thanks again for your advice!

Thanks guys for your replies. I chose UIowa because it is close to home and a great school. I want to add it, but if there is a barrier that is literally impossible to get around, then I don't want to waste my money.

Also, I am not considering Duluth as they are looking for rural physicians.

If I plan to remove 3-4 schools from my list, which ones would you recommend removing? I'm thinking UPenn as I don't really like PHL either.

Are there any other out of state schools others would recommend?

Thanks again for your advice!

I would still suggest adding Duluth as it is your state school and a way to maximize the likelihood of an acceptance. Also, the clinical years are done in Minneapolis, and the rural focus does not mean you will be forced into a primary care specialty. If you want to remove schools, you need to specify what would be important to you, as your list seems somewhat random.

I would have no problem going to Duluth, but I'd feel bad competing with students who truly want to follow Duluth's vision of serving rural communities. I don't think I could lie on my secondaries and express a fake interest in rural medicine. Also, I am certain I would never live in a rural community.

Regarding my school list, I will agree that it is rather random. I was hoping to attend a school here in the midwest, not far from Minnesota, or out east. I made my selections based on my own interests in the area/school, and in combination with the school selection spreadsheet. I made sure to select schools primarily in the "high chance" and "go for it" categories.

If I drop a few schools, I'll likely replace them with other schools. I was just wondering if anyone else had any suggestions based on my stats. I will consider almost every school, but it seems that my stats will narrow down whichever schools I have a realistic shot at.

If I were to get rid of a few schools and add a few, does anyone else have any suggestions?

I'll just bump this one last time. After that, I'll just cry like an infant. ;)

I'll just bump this one last time. After that, I'll just cry like an infant. ;)

To be honest, your school list is kind of random, what made you choose these programs? A little more info may be useful in helping us decide which schools you should omit and which you should add. At this point you are still very top-heavy.

I also think your list is really top heavy, but since you've got a good safety in your state school, you're probably OK. You may still want to add 1 or 2 more.

I made these choices because I like the programs and the locations. I have since removed a few schools (all top tier) and I am looking for some replacement schools where I have a more realistic shot at. I guess I'm having trouble finding schools at this point because I first weed out the schools I can't get into via the selection spreadsheet, and I'm left with many schools that do not take kindly to OOSers. It's a shame that so many schools are located in Chicago and PHL, cities I would not enjoy spending 4+ years in. Are there any other private schools you'd recommend where I'd have a realistic shot at, and some schools which I can consider "safties." Again, I must express my gratitude for any replies.

I don't mean to say that you don't have a shot at top schools, just that you should add more lower tier schools as well.

I totally agree. Is there a list of some of these lower schools that I should look into? What would people recommend?

It's coming down to only a few more days. Any other suggestions at schools I should look into?

I know I keep bumping this and I apologize! :D

Also, I've talked to so many people about UIowa regarding their mandatory 10 or above in each section for an interview policy. I called Iowa and they said that it was not true, and that I should certainly apply. Do you think they just want my money? If so, I'm taking them off my list.

Iowa just wants your money guarenteed. They sent me an e-mail telling me to apply, that I would fit perfectly in their program, blah blah BS. I filled out and submitted the secondary the day after I got it. No interview or anything. Then, they said my stats were too low which is why I didn't get an interview. They are golddiggers

Thanks for the responses guys.

I can't believe UIowa can pull that crap. They say that you can apply and there is no MCAT exclusion factor when you call them, but then you get shafted months later and are out over $100. Talk about being ethical. :rolleyes:

But seriously, that is some great advice and I appreciate it. I feel better knowing that I won't have to throw money at a zero chance.