MD school list and gap year advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cookiecheese

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What is your recent GPA trend(particularly in sceicne classes) the past 3 semesters or so? If you want to do a DIY post-bacc, it would be best to apply after that's complete. You will be judged by what your GPA is at the time of the application, not by classes you take in the future.

20 schools is fine its just a matter of choosing the right 20.

The EC's look sufficient although I would recommend also trying to get some non clinical volunteering experience.

Also consider Einstein, Saint Louis, Jefferson, Dartmouth, Miami, Cincinnati, Stony Brook, Tufts, U of Iowa amongst others. If you dont have MSAR get it and pay attention to a) % of OOS matriculants a school has b) their 90th percentile MCAT c) 10th percentile sGPA. Also unless you are from Arkansas you didnt list all or any of your state programs on your list; if you have more that arent on your list include them by all means.

If you are looking to cut schools start with South Carolina, Arkansas, Florida Atlantic and USF if you arent from those states. Schools like Rosalind, Rush and VCU tend to interview relatively few who hit 522 on the MCAT unless they have a strong reason to believe those applicants are likely to attend or are a very strong fit for their mission.
'
Constructing school lists can be somewhat tricky for an applicant like you because alot of lower tier schools could potentially look at that 522 as low yield but the higher end schools might have bigger issues with the 3.3 sGPA. Still, if you apply broadly I dont see why you cant have a pretty reasonable shot at being successful.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
From personal experience as someone with a similar profile, im gonna disagree with grapes. FAU, USF, and Greenville are huge fans of good Macts and take many oos people. I recently interviewed at USF and 12 of the 14 interviewees were OOS. List looks good!

Members don't see this ad :)
From personal experience as someone with a similar profile, im gonna disagree with grapes. FAU, USF, and Greenville are huge fans of good Macts and take many oos people. I recently interviewed at USF and 12 of the 14 interviewees were OOS. List looks good!

It's not so much that those schools are impossible to get into OOS as much as if you are looking for schools to cut those are the first candidates I would look at.

For these Fl schools a number of times what youll see is for the OOS candidates they have ties to the region or some other hook that makes them a good fit for the school and its mission. FAU is only 23% OOS. South Carolina in particular often wants ties to the region for OOS applicants(and they really are a school at only 15% OOS that I would cut). USF has a decent amount of OOS but a number of those people are through special programs ie their BS/MD program and they also have a special program with Bethlelem(which is in SouthEast PA) where they take people from that part of the US often and those people go to USF the first two years then do rotations in hospitals back in PA 3rd year.

Virginia Tech (only if you live in VA, or a rural area in a neighboring state)
Tulane
Albany Medical College
Wake Forest
Loyola
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Rush
Virginia Commonwealth
Chicago Rosalind Franklin
Hofstra
Rochester
Western Michigan
Emory
Boston U
Einstein
USC/Keck
Case Western
Roseman LV
Your state school(s) and all those in neighboring states.
Add Loyola, Creighton, Gtown, GWU, U VM, EVMS, the Philly Triplets